Key combo to boot from FW drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KD7IWP, May 1, 2008.

1. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I have an old TiBook I use as a server (It has a busted LCD, so it's headless) and I normally control it through VNC. However, I need to get it to boot off of a backup that I have on a FireWire drive. The problem is, when I set the startup disk to be the OSX copy on the firewire drive, the TiBook will not boot off of it, instead, it boots off of its internal hard drive for some reason. The firewire drive has a clone (via SuperDuper!) on it that I have booted successfully on another Powerbook. Since the LCD is busted I can't see what I am clicking if I hold 'alt' during startup and get to the boot picker. Anyone know a way that I can tell it during startup to boot from the firewire drive since at the boot screen there is nothing that displays on an external monitor?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

3. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Thanks for the post, but I have tried that as well. It still is most likely bringing me to the screen with the boot picker, but I can't see that since the LCD is dead. I'm more or less needing some key combination that will allow me to specifically select a partition, but I doubt that is possible. (or a combination that will let me cycle through the boot options. It does not appear that I can simply press 'tab' a few times and then 'enter' to pick one.)

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Close the LCD screen and attach an external keyboard and mouse. Then you should see the boot selection screen on your external monitor.

5. KD7IWP thread starter macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Good point, I didn't think about clamshell mode. I'll give that a try.