Key command not working in ANY application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mp-hurst, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mp-hurst macrumors newbie

So you know how when you use a key command, the menu title under which it resides will flash blue momentarily? (i.e. file, edit, or view). No matter what application I am running, if I use Command + G, the edit menu flashes blue and nothing happens.

In Photoshop I need this command to group layers. In Bridge I need it so I can stack groups. In I-movie I need it to view videos as full screen. Of course I could drag my mouse up to the menu bar everytime instead, but I WANT MY KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS BACK :-(

I have tried using disk utility and doing an archive and install, but the problem isn't fixed. Also this might help... the command works fine if I sign in as another user. Ideas?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

 -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Anything mapped to ⌘G in there? Be sure to look under Application Keyboard Shortcuts at the bottom of the list too.

3. mp-hurst thread starter macrumors newbie

Checked in System Preferences>Keyboard and mouse>Keyboard shortcuts, but nothing is listed for Comand + G. There also doesnt seem to be anything listed for Application keyboard shortcuts.

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Okay, that's how it looks by default. Just curious if something had been re-mapped system-wide.

You've got me there. :confused:

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's one other possibility. Do you have a keyboard macro application installed for just yourself? If you do, and you have a global macro mapped to :apple:+G, then that is why you're having problems.

6. mp-hurst thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't set up any keyboard macros. In fact I had to go look it up on wikipedia to find out what you meant :eek:. At this point do I need to delete my user account and start a new one? If I do that is there anything major I need to pay attention to other than copying picture/text/video files etc. ?

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

This may not help, but Command-G is the standard, if not quite universal, key command for "find next". As in, you do a command-F to find some text, then every time you hit command-G it will go to the next occurrence of that text.

Nearly every text editor (except MS Word, of course) uses this, including TextEdit. The "edit menu flashes, but nothing happens" you're seeing is exactly the behavior you would expect if that application supported the command-G find-next shortcut.

...except that any application should be able to override this, and many do. I just tested on my Photoshop CS3 install, and command-G groups layers, just like it should (while the behavior in, say, TextEdit, is as you describe, which is expected).

I'm also stumped as to why something would be intercepting/overriding this for specific applications if you haven't installed anything and there's nothing in the pref pane you already checked.

Two things to try:

1) If you haven't already, reboot. Never hurts, and I've on occasion seen a situation where a key shortcut gets "stuck" (some systemwide ones are, I think, handled by the Dock, and it can act up); if that's what happened to you, it might help.

2) Assuming that doesn't do it, do what you were thinking of and try creating a new user account. Log in and test it there before you do anything else; if it works fine, must be a user preference that got hosed somewhere. If not... hmm.

If it is just your account, you can probably fix it by deleting the untoward .plist (guessing where the aforementioned pref stores its preferences, but if it turns out to be account-specific I or someone else can help track it down to test), which is a lot easier than creating a new account and moving everything over, which might well end up moving the bad preference over as well.

Aside: You don't have to log out of your main account to test, but if you don't quit Photoshop first it'll give you a stupid error about failed DRM when you try to launch it in the second account.