Key Differences btw TextMate & BBEdit ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I wanted to know the key differences between TextMate and BBEdit ?

On the outside from what i can tell, they seems pretty similar.
    Do any of you prefer one to the other ? What's better ?

Thanks for any advice!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Comparing feature lists and screen shots probably will tell you more than I can, and giving both a test drive using the free trial versions of both. They both have a lot to offer those who want to do hand coding. Some people feel more comfortable in one over the other. I personally prefer BBEdit and have gotten very comfortable with it. It's been around since at least OS 7 so has had a lot time to mature whereas TextMate is still a young application.

Some of the big draws to BBEdit for myself are it's scriptability features so I can process documents using AppleScript, Python, Bash, etc. (anything you can run in Terminal), which allows you to add any missing feature you want. I also like the SVN integration, ability to handle a lot of documents and huge documents (1GB+ size; not that I need that very often). It's light weight and speedy.

I don't have anything against TextMate though. Test driving is your best bet because everyone is different.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The one that you like. There is no right or wrong answers. I've used both and I prefer textmate but Bbedit is a great editor as well. Personally, I'm waiting for ultraedit to be released in 2010. I use that editor on my PC at work and cannot wait to have that available for the mac shortly.

They both offer trials, try both and see which one suits your needs the best. Because your needs are not my needs I cannot answer what would be best for you, its completely a personal preference decision.

4. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

yeah, i guess i'll just try out both....

just wanted to get some information before wasting too much time
    on something i wasn't going to use.....

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Point is how will you know which one you'll not use until you try them ;)