Key / essential files to back up before reinstalling Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shai-hulud, Dec 10, 2008.

1. shai-hulud macrumors newbie

Good day.

I'm planning on reinstalling Leopard on my aluminium iMac, but before doing so, I wanted to check what I should be backing up. An image backup would not be appropriate in my circumstances, and I've already backed up all personal files etc, so all I'm interested in really is things like bookmarks from Safari, mail folders & related files from the Mail app, and any other custom bits and pieces I can realistically salvage.

Presumably for bookmarks I'd be looking at taking a copy of the bookmarks.plist file in library/safari? Sounds logical, but I have no experience with OS X reinstalls so any help would be appreciated. Links to relevant guides would be welcomed, also, if anyone knows of any - I haven't been able to locate anything discussing the above.

I'm good for itunes stuff though - that's already sorted. The logistics behind the mail app though are baffling me, so any help there would be great (which file does / stores what?)

Thanks!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Mail is in:

~/Libary/Mail

You might also want to back up ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences

3. nardac macrumors newbie