Key Swapping with Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dboutet, Apr 3, 2008.

1. dboutet macrumors newbie

I'm looking to swap the keys in my white macbook and possibly toss in a couple of black ones, make some sort of pattern, or what not. I'm a little bit skeptical, but my 1-yr warranty is about to be up so...it looks pretty damn sweet when they're black on white. I have a white 2.16Ghz intel core 2 dou macbook, with 1GB of ram, the DVD-burner etc. There's so many product numbers and specifications out there i was wondering which keyboard I'd need or if there's anything specific i'd need to know if i wanted to make the whole keyboard black or anything. I'm just looking for some advice from anyone who's done it, is thinking of doing? Good idea or bad idea? Is it worth it? Any suggestions as to where i would be able to get the keys or keyboard, they're kind of pricey ($80) on ebay, and I'm not sure if i want to buy this kind of thing on ebay anyways.

Thanks.

PS - Can RAM be upgraded on macbooks? I know they can on MBP but is it the same with macbooks? Is it worth it? Anywhere suggested to get it done? I'd hate to screw something up

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

3. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

You can get a Blackbook keyboard for like $50 on eBay if you bid, can't you?

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That White with the black keyboard does look pretty cool. I wonder why they didn't did the Blackbook with the full white keyboard?

Oh and I really need to post up some pics of what I experimented with on my ibook keyboard :p... still no backlight though :(

6. dboutet thread starter macrumors newbie

has anybody already done it though? How hard is it to swap the keys? Do they just like pop off? I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to this kinda stuff

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - they do just pop off and on - this how to is for the new aluminium usb keyboard but the procedure is just the same for the MacBook

http://skeltoac.com/2007/10/22/apple-keyboard-aluminum-keycap-removal/

Just take your time and the advantage of buying a used topcase is that you will end up with lots of spare scissors in case you break any.

9. dboutet thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that article is sweet. thanks for that. its a good thing i didn't just go pulling, because there are little hinger under there

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you follow the instructions its fine - they just sort of push straight back on - I have never had any problems replacing them.

The little double hinge things appear to be known as scissors - you learn something every day !

11. dboutet thread starter macrumors newbie

ok well its definately not the same as that article for a macbook so beware. Everything is rotated right, and now i bent my K key and it wont sit flatt.its on about a 45 degree angle. great. :(, does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this other than taking it in. i really shouldnt have touched it

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

What on earth have you done - it sounds like the scissor underneath the key is not sitting correctly - take the key off and check that the notches on the reverse side are ok and that the scissor is sitting properly and is free to move.

I have used the instructions on several MacBook keyboards and never had a problem........

13. dboutet thread starter macrumors newbie

ya well something is definately bent, but I'm not sure what, or what to do about it?

I don't know what it should look like when i take the key off and i dont want to try and pop any more off and risk breaking another one. I could really use some help here guys :(

14. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

15. logana macrumors 65816

logana

When you take the key off you will see the scissors - they should lie flat against the keyboard but hinge-up when the key is in place because of the little rubber thing (the key actuator) in the middle. I think yours has got unhinged taking the key off. Try to get them to go back down again...

As long as you haven't broken anything it will go back together again...when you take the key off you should be able to see the problem and the solution

16. dboutet thread starter macrumors newbie

does anybody have an e-mail address that i could email a picture or two to? just for some one on one advice after seeing my situation? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

17. dboutet thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind. thank you so much to whoever just posted that last bunch of pictures. It showed me that the horsesho shaped piece was supposed to be on the top of the circle piece, when i was yanking on it, it must have somehow moved it on top. sooo relieved to have it fixed and even though i now know what i'm doing, i'm definitely not pulling off these keys again.

Thanks alot guys, you have no idea how much help you've been!

18. thephaser macrumors newbie

hi,

does the macbook procedure work for the macbook air as well? did anyone try that?

thanx