Keyboard/2016 MB PRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JLH81, Nov 22, 2016.

1. JLH81 macrumors newbie

Hey all!

So, first of all, I ended up buying a 2016 MB PRO with the touch bar today. I have the 2015 MB PRO which I gave to my niece who is starting college next fall. So, it worked out well for the both of us.

That being said, I really don't find the new MB Pro that huge of an improvement over the previous generation. Sure, I like it a lot, but I definitely would have gotten by just fine with the 2015 model. However, that touch pad is kind of cool, and I love the bigger track pad.

Here's my question, WHAT do I use to remove oils from my keyboard? I am guessing my fingers are just oily, but after each use my keyboard looks pretty nasty. I have been using Windex Electronic wipes which do an awesome job UNTIL I use the keyboard :) I have been thinking about getting a cover, but nothing seems to fit that great and not put imprints on the screen.

How do you all deal with the oily/dirty keyboard? Do you just clean it weekly, etc? Is a cover worth it? Although, I am not sure how that would be possible with the touch bar.

Thanks much, guys!

2. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I shut the computer down and use a dry microfiber rag. Generally cleaners also attract dirt and grime. I might lick the rag if there is a spot I can't get (call me gross, I don't care). I know people that have really good luck with a paint or makeup brush to get stuff out from in between the keys, but I usually just blow.

Ive heard that keyboard covers are bad because MacBooks draw air through the keyboard, but someone may be able to confirm or deny this.

3. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I take a microfiber cloth, dampen one corner of it with water. Clean the keys with the dampened part, then use the dry parts to dry the computer. This process worked great for the screen and all other parts of the computer.

4. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

ಠ_ಠ

Mate, there is water literally everywhere. :D

5. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Yeah! But I don't think water has the same effect. What's wrong with a good spit shine?

6. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Well, depending on your eating habits / body chemistry / dental hygiene your spit might be slightly acidic compared to regular water. If you feel like your spit does the job better than water, that might be why.

7. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Do you think I could sell my spit as a cleaner then? :rolleyes:

8. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Nah, but you might want to avoid cleaning the aluminium bits with it ;)