Keyboard Acting Very Strangely After Spill

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by penzled, Apr 4, 2011.

1. penzled macrumors newbie

Hello there. I understand that are a million resources out there to help people who have spilled something on a computer, but I haven't been able to find anything that relates exactly to my problem.

Anyway, since I'm a bit of an idiot, I managed to spill a really small amount of water, and I mean really small amount, on my late 2009 Macbook. I did the usual, power off, flipped upside down, leave to dry for a week trick, and the computer itself seems to be working fine now. When I plug in a USB keyboard.

Without it, however, it's being very odd. At the login screen, it looks as though I'm typing, but even keys such as enter and shift and showing the dots of hidden letters. When I try typing on any other document however, nothing comes up at all. Just sounds as though it's a bit broken with that, doesn't it?

Well, when I went on to play a game on it today, using the USB keyboard of course, I accidentally started pressing the WASD keys to move my character around. And it worked. But it still won't allow me to type elsewhere.

I truly have not got a clue what's wrong with this thing, but I'm worried that it's a serious problem with the computer. Could it be my logic board? I'd really appreciate some help cause this is killing me here, I can't afford to buy a new one to be honest, so I'm hoping there's a cheap fix to this.

Thank you very much if you read this.

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

penzled,

I can't tell you definitively if it's your logic board or if it's a problem with some connector in your upper case that's gone awry and is sending incorrect signals to the logic board that identify a key press. What I can tell you though is that the repair is probably going to be expensive seeing as it's probably one of those two components. Unlike the non-unibody Macbooks, the keyboard is built into the upper case and replacing the upper case requires disassembly of the entire lower half of the machine.

You may want to take it into an Apple Store and see what they say about it. Or if you have already done that, what did they say?

3. penzled thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I haven't taken it in yet, I was giving it some time to see if it would settle itself, but it seems quite unlikely that it will now. I'll take it in some time this week. Any idea what sort of figure I'm looking at if it's one of the two problems you've mentioned?