Keyboard Advice needed after liquid damage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JLeaf, Mar 21, 2010.

1. JLeaf macrumors newbie

My problem stems from spilling milk on the keyboard of my mid 2007 white Macbook, and being forced to turn it back on a few hours later because I had to turn assignments in. So, luckily the hard drive and data seem to be fine, but the keyboard has widespread problems of keys not working or phantom sticking. Typing is possible but just too bad for continued use as. What I was wondering is my best option now that I'm here. it seems like my choices are getting my keyboard replaced, using a usb keyboard, or waiting another 24 hours and hoping they dry out, though I'm assuming they're shorted. None of these ideas seem great, and I couldn't find reliable information on how much a Macbook keyboard replacement costs. I'm downright terrible when it comes to disassembling and reassembling computers, but if nothing else is palatable can give it a try. Just looking for the best possible option terms of convenience and cost. Thanks for the help.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Eventually, the spill will corrode the MB's internals, and it will fail. Your best bet until then is to use an external keyboard and just replace the machine when it fails.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

My friend spilled Dr. Pepper on her Powerbook over 4 years ago, and it still works.

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

That's not an indicator of anything. Some spills are worse than others, it all depends on where you spilled it and how much. Most spills are fatal to the Macbook.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Once I spilled coke on my Macbook Pro. It worked fine after drying for a day, but 1 month later everything started going pear shaped. Somehow I think that the spill had something to do with that.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can get them for $30 to $35 on eBay. I picked up one for mine a few months ago. These are used (new run over $130:eek:). Then use jewelers screwdrivers to remove the screws guides can be found on iFixit. The screwdrivers can be bought at radioshack or any hardware store (buy a full set).

The model linked is for Santa Rosa and newer Macbooks except unibody.
    Note: Besides the unibody all upper case are interchangeable the Santa Rosa and newer have the modern function key layout to take better advantage of Expose and other shortcuts. I used this model on my 2006 C2D Macbook with no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-MacBook-2...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efd80da6d