keyboard all mumbled up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeangablase, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jeangablase macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a second computer which is a 12" ibook 1.33GHz Power PC G4, 512Mb RAM, with OSX 10.4.4
    Suddenly my keyboard started acting strangely without apparent reason. It's not responding almost at all (when pressing the K key, 41 comes onto the screen, when pressing the J key, 52 comes onto the screen).
    I don't think this is due to anything physical (like a spillage or a drop, a hit...) so I'm wondering if anybody knows about any OS or software malfunction that could cause that.
    Thanks in advance

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the most common cause for this would be accidentally bumping the Numlock button (I believe it's around the middle of the F-keys), thus giving you the embedded numeric keypad; at least on some iBooks it doesn't have a light to tell you when it's activated, so it can be pretty confusing when that happens.

However, I'd expect J to give you 1 and K 2. Still, hit it and see if anything changes. If that's not it, try holding down the fn key and see if that does anything--I suppose it's possible the keyboard got locked in function-key mode in software...