Keyboard and Glass Trackpad Wear

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mathemology, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mathemology macrumors newbie

Let me preface this by saying this is my first Mac and I love it.

Okay, so I noticed with the previous MB that there were issues with the trackpad and keys (esp. space bar) getting worn down over time like every other laptop. The keyboard on the Alum MB seem to be pretty polished/glossy looking. Will these have the same worn look do you think?

What about the glass trackpad? Worn look or perfectly fine? My instincts say that it should be fine since it is glass, but it looks dull and I can see my fingers giving it a nice light sanding and luster after a little while.

2. 8theapple macrumors regular

Just wear gloves when you use your computer lol.

In all honesty, your laptop will lose it's brand new luster over time. Just let it age gracefully. In a year or two you won't really care if your keyboard or trackpad shows wear.

3. Mathemology thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, well actually I'm not so much worried about it. It's more of a discussion about Apple addressing that common issue among laptops. I'm just wondering if the the glass trackpad was implemented for this reason and what not.

But I'll consider wearing little gloves.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

iskin.com sells keyboard covers
    invisible shield sells skins for trackpad and palm area

You just have to wait for them to come up with products for the new macbooks.

5. bidwalj macrumors 65816

if the keyboard is anything like the Air, then it will start to show wear in 3-4 months

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I did not have a Blackbook, but I have seen old-ish ones, and the keys look oily if anything. I think it could be cleaned, no? Funny, I just sold my Powerbook, whose keys were a tad shiny, but otherwise perfect after daily (careful) use for almost 3 years.

My new AluMac (hey is this a new name?) already shows oily keys, but it's not bad.

7. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

THIS ISN'T OIL. I'm amazed at how many people think that this is oil. It's very obviously the plastic being worn down to a shine by the friction of being used.

8. fishniw macrumors regular

I like it but I don't think it will stick. It doesn't roll of the tounge well

9. Mathemology thread starter macrumors newbie

The keys look as if they took the texture of keys that have been used for a year or so and applied that to the current keyboard. I could be wrong but it seems as if they attempted to minimize the glossy wear that happens. It'll be interesting to see what happens...

On a similar topic, the keyboard is the same layout and dimensions as the Air it seems. Couldn't one just buy a keyboard cover for an Air for their MB? The side by side comparison done in the thread here recently shows almost (if not exactly) the same keyboard, layout and dimension wise.

10. kellte2 macrumors regular

I think its the keys being worn down.

Hate to break it to everyone, but I got my MB last Thursday and I've already got wear showing on the keyboard where i hit in on the right side with my index finger. I HAVE been doing an excessive amount of typing for law school, BUT...its definitely wearing a lot faster than my thinkpad. Oh well.

11. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I think you can buy a keypad cover. Does anyone know if one for the old macbook and macbook air fit the new macbooks?

12. gyumilly macrumors member

I have iskin pro touch(?) for my white macbook, but I heard if you put the keyboard cover on and close the lid, it'll touch the LCD. I'm getting a new macbook today, so I'll test and let you know.

13. Clayne macrumors 6502

are there keyboard cloth covers for when it's closed?

14. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

15. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Why do laptop keyboards wear away, but the black keyboard I've had with my dell tower since I got it over 5 years ago is still in perfect shape, except that half of the letter "C" is worn off. None of the color has gone at all. What is apple doing wrong?

16. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

17. arun21 macrumors member

But it is the skin's oil that does degrade the plastic on the trackpad (especially of the blackbook) and the keyboard.

18. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

As the emphasis in the word 'aluminium' is on the first and third syllable (as in a·lu·mi·ni·um, AluMac rolls off the tongue perfectly well. But then again, if you use the (awfully ugly) Americanized version 'aluminum' of the word, it would indeed sound weird and wouldn't roll off one's tongue quite so nicely. However, who in their right mind would use that ugly word?

19. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Guys, it's not a trophy, it's a computer. Use it and quit worrying about normal wear and tear. (not directed at the original poster)

20. Jpoon macrumors 6502

As long as you're not cracking the keys and dropping food and drink on your keyboard, I wouldn't worry about it. It's going to get worn, and get the occasional scratches. *Probably less so on the Aluminum with the scratches* My white MB has scratches all over it now from just moving it around and in and out of the case. Not to mention the time that the flaps in the X-Ray thing in the airport scratched the hell out of the top casing.....

Stupid AirPort. But anyways, it's bound to happen. Just don't deliberately do anything to make it happen faster haha.