Keyboard and Magic Trackpad have a delay on startup...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xTRIGGER092x, Aug 2, 2011.

1. xTRIGGER092x, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

After booting into the Snow Leopard Install DVD to verify my hard drive and then switching back to my hard drive to quit the Installer, and now I'm having trouble with my peripherals. On startup, my Magic Trackpad and Aluminum Wireless Keyboard have a 15-20 second delay after boot to desktop before turning on and working. I've added them to my favorites in Bluetooth preferences, changed the batteries, turned on and off, deleting Bluetooth and peripheral preference files, reset SMC and PRAM, deleted/re-paired trackpad from the computer, and even restored to an earlier backup with Time Machine to no avail. It's worth noting that when I turn off the Trackpad and startup using just the keyboard and my old Magic Mouse, it works with no delay. What can I do? It's pretty annoying.

2. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

Does no one really have any idea to solve this? I've posted this several times on several sites and no one's answered me.

3. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

I know I shouldn't bump again, but I really need some help on this one. I just did a standard reinstall of Snow Leopard and it didn't help. Am I just left with the option of clean install now?

4. tonka2 macrumors member

I've had the same problem since I downloaded Lion. When I boot, the trackpad works fine, but when I do a Restart, then my trackpad just quits and takes forever to get it working again including taking out the batteries and replacing same, then force quitting until it finally works again. I have done a clean install and, tell you the truth, I'm afraid to try to Restart...a very weird situation. I've called AppleCare 3 times to resolve this problem.

This never happened in SnowLeopard when I used the Magic Trackpad. Wish I could help you more other than suggesting that you call AppleCare. Maybe they have a solution. I originally thought my old machine might be going, but in searching the subject I found others with the same exact problem.

Lots of luck, and if you find a solution, I'd sure like to know it.

5. chemistry76 macrumors member

I'm occasionally having a delay on my trackpad or keyboard too (2011 27", i5 3.1).

Yesterday, after a restart, the keyboard never would work - had to do a shutdown.

Lion, clean install.

6. Animalk macrumors 6502

I have also experienced delayed connection of my bluetooth apple peripherals at the login screen upon a reboot.

7. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know others are having the problem. I'm probably calling AppleCare tonight; if it gets fixed, I'll definitely share the solution.

8. tonka2 macrumors member

I saw a post in another forum here where one person removed the usb drive for their MX mouse and it fixed it. About an hour ago I also removed the usb drive that was in my keyboard, then tried a Restart, and happy to say it started fine and without a problem. Now, mind you, this was just one Restart but I am thinking that was my problem. I should note every time before on Restart I would get a popup saying they couldn't find my "keyboard," which is wired but had the mouse USB in it. And I guess that is what it was referring to, that it couldn't find my mouse.

In any event, give it a try.

9. chemistry76 macrumors member

Ah. I do have a Logitech Nano USB wireless mouse plugged into the back of my iMac. I'll give that a try since I only use the mouse for gaming.

10. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

Good that you might've solved it. Unfortunately, that's not my solution. I don't have the keyboard with the USB port and the only thing connected via USB (and at all) in the back of my iMac is my Time Machine, and following your advice, I ejected/removed and restarted it to no avail.

I called AppleCare last night; they couldn't fix the problem. So, I have a Genius Bar appointment on Monday. Hopefully it can be solved there.

11. tonka2 macrumors member

I am sorry to hear that. In my case when my Magic Trackpad stopped functioning, I got a popup saying it couldn't find my keyboard, which is a wired one, and that gave me the clue that they really couldn't find my mouse USB that was in the keyboard.

In any event, good luck.

12. DagazaGZ macrumors regular

DagazaGZ

Same problem here, happens every now and then and usually only for a minute.

13. xTRIGGER092x thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I went to the Genius Bar. They also couldn't solve it; the Genius ordered a Bluetooth chip because he thought it was a hardware problem.

Unfortunately, my iMac is a paperweight at the moment though because the Genius forgot to give my AC adapter back. :\

14. davidbike macrumors newbie

I am now getting the same delay you had of the Magic Trackpad on startup. Did it ever get solved for you?