Keyboard and Mighty Mouse not working, Apple won't replace

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Matt T, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

A few days ago, I was cleaning my keyboard and Mighty Mouse with a damp cloth and ever since they have not been working; the majority of keys on my keyboard register as others (for example, I press "H" and I get an input of "oj*[[") and my Mighty Mouse's scrollball no longer works as a third button.

I've checked my preferences and everything is okay in that sense - I've got a feeling that some water may have squeezed out of my cloth and gotten into my keyboard and MM.

I just got off the phone with Apple and explained my situation (although I didn't mention the water), and I was told I would either have to do a full format of OS X or visit my nearest Apple Centre, which is conveniently located 4 hours from my house. When I asked if it was possible to do this by mail, my response was "only iPod repairs can be done by mail". I purchased my iMac in September, so I'm well within warranty here, and I'm finding this ridiculous.

I need these for work and school, so it's extremely inconvenient (if not impossible) for me to drive 8 hours to and from an Apple centre just for a keyboard and mouse.

Is there any chance the water will dry and my keyboard and MM will start functioning again? I'm seriously considering simply buying a new keyboard and MM, but that would be an amazing waste of money since I'm covered by warranty and this level of service from Apple is simply unacceptable.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't really think this is unacceptable considering that Apple make no claims as to whether their products are waterproof. ;)

Nevertheless, turn the devices off for a good 24 hours. If they're wireless, take their batteries out and leave the compartments open. Tomorrow, reconnect them and see how things go. If you're still having issues, create a new user account in System Preferences so we can rule out any problems that may be sourced from your current user account. In many way, this is as effective as a full reinstall. If they're wireless devices, remove them from the syncing items and then re-add them.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it isn't exactly covered under warranty due to the water, is it? i'd suck it up and buy a new keyboard and mouse.

4. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

But I didn't mention anything about the water. As far as the Apple rep was concerned, they both just stopped working. My main complaint here is that there is no mail-in repair service considering there are only a handful of suitable centres for this sort of thing in Australia. You'd think that with so few stores that offer Apple repairs, Apple would have some sort of mail-in repairs service in place for Mac's - iPod's can be sent in by mail, but not Macs.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In that case, I put this one down to karma. Steve's big on karma. That's probably why he hasn't started a mail-in service centre yet...