Keyboard and MM not responding

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    About once every other week, both my keyboard and Mighty Mouse (it makes no difference whether I'm using the wired or BT MM) lock up solid. They don't do anything. The only fix I've found is to power off my Late 2007 Al iMac with the power button in the back, unplug the iMac from the APC UPS for 10 seconds, then plug the iMac back in and power it up.
    Anyone have the same problem or know the fix?
    I'm going to contact Apple about it shortly, but thought I'd try here first. The iMac is one year old and it just started doing this about 6 weeks ago. I did get the 3 year warranty at the time of purchase, so I'm covered.
    Thanks for any help/advice!
    Morod

2. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Maybe a fix!

I just got off the phone with Apple. Here's what we found:
    In System Pref's, under Bluetooth, it showed that the BT MM was paired and working. In the pull-down menu from the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, the mouse didn't have Discoverable checkmarked and under Setup BT Device, the iMac could not find a mouse when searching. I checkmarked Discoverable, plugged in my wired MM and turned off the BT MM. I turned back on the BT MM and tried another search. It found the BT MM right away and paired it.
    The Apple tech was not positive this would fix my problem, but at least it's a start.
    If it doesn't fix it, I will update this thread with any additional fix.
    I think it's fixed! :D Thanks :apple:
    Morod

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

The above didn't help!

So today Apple had me reset the SMC. Keeping fingers crossed that this does the trick.
    I had friends over the other day who want to switch to a Mac mini from Windows. I'm glad it didn't mess up while they were here.
    Morod

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Resetting the SMC must've done the trick!

I haven't had the problem reoccur since the above date, so I think resetting the SMC worked.
    To reset the SMC on an iMac:
    1. Shut down the iMac,
    2. Disconnect all the cables from the back, including the power cord.
    3. Hold down the on/off button in back for at least 10 seconds.
    4. Reconnect all cables to the iMac.
    5. Boot back up as normal.
    I'm not sure exactly what resetting the SMC does, I only know it seems to fixed the problem I had with the keyboard and mouse not responding.
    Morod