keyboard and mouse via hub for Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wannabeartist, Sep 25, 2010.

1. wannabeartist macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Is it possible/safe to connect usb keyboard and mouse via an usb hub to a Macbook? I have an older model: 5,2.

Does it matter if the hub is powered or not? Anything else that should be considered?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As mouse and keyboard are low power devices, a passive hub will work for both devices.

3. wannabeartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

Ok, so there's no risk of breaking anything, then (I guess not if I buy a non-powered hub)? - I'm just asking, because I read somewhere that someone fried his iMac with a "wrong" kind of hub...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I used passive USB hubs before with my Macs and had no problems. I actually never used an active hub before, only with work machines where the computer was in another room than the monitors and input devices.

I would like to know, how one can fry an iMac with such low voltage/ampere devices like a passive hub. USB 2.0 uses a maximum of 5.25 V and 100 mA, not very much to fry a whole Mac.

5. wannabeartist thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds pretty weird to me also, but here's where I read about it - actually I just browsed through, I didn't really read all of it...

I just though, I'd better ask because I'm such a n00b with Macs :)

6. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It sounds like that guy was having a case of operator error. He obviously didn't know much about macs.

You shouldn't worry, I used a 7 port powered belkin up on a MacBook air for months and it worked our just fine!

7. wannabeartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

I was quick, I went and bought one (Belkin, 4 ports) in the meantime and indeed it works just fine. Although I could do without the annoying blue led on it :D