keyboard and mouse wont work... how to reinstall mac os dvd's?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macuser86, Mar 26, 2009.

1. macuser86 macrumors member

hi there,

i really really need your help people!!!

so i started up my computer today and the keyboard and mouse wont work.

i tried all the remedies to make them work and some have said reinstalling mac os dvd's solved the problem..... however without any keyboard or mouse how do install them?

i put the os dvd in the computer but i cant click or do anything to make it start so how i do install the os dvd's in this case..... and oh btw... even in safe mode the keyboard neither the mouse work....

i have a 20" iMac desktop that is about a year old if it helps and im using a wired mouse and keyboard.

please, please help me!!!

your help is appreciated.... thanks a bunch.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Could be hardware related if the keyboard/mouse don't work on the install disc. Have you tried different USB ports?

3. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

yup tried em all... any other sugesstions.

4. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Make an appointment with a Genius at an Apple Store. Hopefully your warranty hasn't expired.

6. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

im still within the 1 year warranty period however it seems apple wants to charge me $$$ over the phone to help me fix this problem... i can still purchase the extended warranty .... do you think they would cover this problem under the extended warranty?

fyi... there is no apple store around here .... just best buy, etc.

anyone got any other sugggestions to helo me do it myself?

it would be appreciated.

7. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

no body on this forum knows how to install OS dvds without the keyboard and mouse..... ?? i can get the shift key to work to get into safe mode... but again the keyboard wont work once i get to the safe mode.... if that info helps.....

somebody help!!!!

8. magicandmystery macrumors member

For a website of Mac followers, people don't seem to eager to help, do they? Anyway, I had a similar issue today. I was inspired by this thread at hackint0sh. I didn't have the OS install DVD's (left 'em at my friend's house), but I did have another computer to work with, so you're in luck if someone you know has a Mac. Assuming that's the case, my post on Hackint0sh details how I did it.

Eh. Maybe "detailed how I did it" was too strong a phrase. Just respond back in the thread if you need help, but I booted my computer into target disk mode. I signed up for a developer account at Apple (free- just go here, and use your iTunes ID and p/w), and downloaded the latest file from this page. It's the first one on the page, build 9G55. I downloaded Pacifist, opened the package, and clicked on the folder labeled "System". In Pacifist, do File->Install Files To Other Disk (the other disk being YOURS, the one in Target Disk Mode). After Pacifist is done, disconnect your computer from Target Disk Mode, turn it off, then restart in Safe Mode. Your mouse and keyboard now work!

But they may not work in regular mode. At least, mine didn't. Easy fix: Download the Combo Update 10.5.6 from Apple here, and then install it. After it does it's thing, you'll have full control of your keyboard and mouse again. Woot!

9. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Are you sure the keyboard/mouse won't work, or could it be the iMac is frozen/locked up?
    I ask because I had the same symptoms on my year-old 24" iMac. The first time I thought the keyboard/mouse wouldn't work. The second time it happened I had iTunes playing and the music stopped abruptly, getting my attention.
    The quick fix is to hold down the power button in back for 5-10 seconds to power off the iMac. Then power back up and it should be fixed. A better fix is to reset the SMC.
    Hope this helps,
    Morod

10. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

hey there,

you sure are right.... i thought i would be offered a little more help for a forum full of mac users/enthusiasts.... but to no avail you helped me!!!!

so thank you for that..... from your posted links i figured out that you need to press the 'c' key when starting the computer with the OS dvd inside the drive and that will start installation of OS....
    once it begins.... i did a archive and install so that i wouldnt lose my data and stuff on my computer.

after OS installed completely again.... i went in and installed the 10.5.6 combo update and ever since everything has been working perfectly (knock on wood)!!!!!!

so thanyou so much for helping me out when no one else on this forum seemingly would..... i mean all i needed to know was that i needed to press the 'c' key when the computer was booting up and i would have figured the rest out..... but i guess no one on this whole forum knew that? i find that hard to beleive and sort of have a bitter feeling about it.:(

but again.... thanks for your help magicandmystery... your links in your post got me going in the right direction.:)

11. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the input morod.... i got it all figured out!!!!

12. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for attempting to help sky blue... its appreciated... i got it all sorted out.

13. macuser86 thread starter macrumors member

its a couple weeks from it expiring... im now wondering if i should buy the extra two years while i can.... hmmm....:confused:

anyhow thanks for the help with the apple store thing.... it was a good idea.... but it got sorted out at home before it got there.