Keyboard and palm rest protector?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedJeans, Apr 28, 2010.

1. RedJeans macrumors member

I've head mixed things about keyboard and palm rest protectors.

Thoughts?

(Macbook Pro 13")

2. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I've heard good and bad reviews of keyboard protectors, but I presonally love the Moshi PalmGuard. It's color matched so you don't even know it's there. It comes with a TrackGuard too but I don't use it. The glass trackpads are quite durable and I've heard that they interfere with the tap feature.

3. Err0xx macrumors member

+1 I use the Moshi PalmGuard as well - absolutely love it. I've had this guard on my last 3 Macs. I use the TrackGuard as well - no issues interfering with my tapping or gestures. I also HEAVILY recommend the RadTech Screensavr. I'll post the link below - this thing is a God-send and very useful if you use any type of bag for your macbook that might put a squeezing pressure on the screen. Check it out, at least.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

4. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Is it just a sheet of material that you insert when you're not using it and then take out when you use it?

5. Err0xx macrumors member

Basically yea, but the material is really funky. It absorbs shock and doesn't put pressure on the screen, yet protects the screen from impact with the keys. It also has a special texture to it, like microfiber but WAY softer that is used to clean the screen if you need it for that. After owning several MBP's, sometimes you notice little smudges on the screen from the pressure causing contact with the keys. This is the best solution I've found to support the screen, remove this pressure, and prevent this smudging. The fabric is washable, guaranteed to 2000 washes, I believe is what the informational sheet says, so it's quite durable. Worth the cost imo; wonderful at cleaning the screen on-the-go as well, though you will rarely need to clean it with this protecting it from the keys while in a bag etc.

6. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Haha there's just so many things you can buy to protect your Macbook - I'm having difficulty deciding what to purchase. What do you have on your current Macbooks?

7. Err0xx macrumors member

I currently have the Moshi PalmGuard and TrackGuard and this RadTech Screensavr. I did have the InCase Hard Shell on my new MBP but was paranoid that it would do more damage than good, so I took it off and won't use it again. I use the Booq Viper Rush XL Case for my 17" MBP, which rocks because you can use the computer while its in the case, plus the case is compact and VERY protective of the computer. The products I use on my MBP are linked below.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/moshi-PalmGua...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272513204&sr=8-5

http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-back...acbook-pro-bags/Viper-rush-XL-MacBook-Pro-bag

8. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much. I was thinking about getting an Incase shell or a Speck one. You don't think this is a good idea?

Also, what are your opinions about the Invisible Shield?

9. Err0xx macrumors member

Both the Speck and InCase shells scare the heck out of me. The little tabs that clip on to "grasp" your MBP rub like mad when your putting them on, which, after repeated taking on-and-off to clean, is bound to leave wear marks at the places of rubbing contact with your computer. there is a bit of a space between the actual hard shell and the computer itself, which allows dirt and grit and such to get between the shell and the computer. This will eventually cause scratching and require you to remove the case to clean, which keeps wearing on the computer where the tabs are when you put the case back on - if that makes sense. I think the invisible shields are cool - I use the Zagg Invisi-Shield on my iPhone and will apply one to my iPad 3G when it gets here, though I've never had experience with them on a Macbook; I can imagine they would be good though, much better than the Speck or InCase HardShell.

Also, people that leave reviews about the InCase and Speck hardshells often review them right after getting them, before they experience many of the negatives; just something to consider.

10. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Do you think it will be difficult to apply the Invisible Shield to a Macbook?

11. Err0xx macrumors member

Thats a hard question; If your patient, should be doable. I know it was an absolute BEAR to put on my iPhone, but after taking my time and working out bubbles, etc, it has been worth it. Those shields are hardcore durable and because they actually *stick* to the surface, grit and such can't get under them, which is always a plus. Don't get one with the mindset that your gonna slap it on in a few minutes. Set aside at least an hour and do a really meticulous job applying it and you will consider it one of the best purchases you can make. Due to the design of the MPB being mostly smooth with less steep curves than an iPhone, I would imagine it wouldn't be as hard to install. In the long run I think it will be worth it. I've been a hair away from ordering an Invisi-Shield for mine as well- will probably do so before the week is up.

12. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much. Would you say that an Invisible Shield + Speck case would be okay? Like you, I'm worried that the hard shell cases may scratch the Macbook - which I do not want, obviously. Do you think that the Invisible Shield may protect it from scratching?

Also, where do you plan on ordering your Invisible Shield?

13. Err0xx macrumors member

Hmm, the slightly added width of the invisi-shield might make the hardshell cases not fit, due to how hard the tabs click onto the computer. You see, the pressure of the tabs on the bottom half of the MBP is on the inside of the computer - to either side of the keyboard right next to the speakers and parallel to the trackpad. So the extra "tightness" from the invisi-shield in combination with the hardshell might make the fit too tight on the sides...not sure but it would be close. The invisi-shield will definitely protect the computer from the grit that gets between the hardshell and the actual case, but you'll just have to deal with the "dirty" look if you don't want to take it off to clean it often. One other thing about the hard shells is the material that they are made out of scratches hardcore bad, so any of the colored ones look bad worn within a month after using them, so if you try the invisi-shield + hardshell combo, I'd consider the clear hardshell; makes the wear and scratches much harder to see. I'll order my invisi-shield from the link below, no doubt. Zagg makes phenomenal products and I will always *always* go to them for my invisi-shield needs for virtually any product. GREAT customer support and superior product quality.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/search/search.php?x=0&y=0&keyword=Macbook+Pro

14. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

You raise some excellent points. Yes! I've heard about Zagg before. I think I may have decided on an Invisible Shield (praying that I put it on right) and a sleeve: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H0374ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTczMTA1MjQ

15. Err0xx macrumors member

Also, as for the Zagg assurance, on all of their invisi-shields, you will see the following:

-Military grade patented material engineered for your specific device
    -Unique properties provide self-healing qualities
    -Includes free lifetime replacement warranty for the life of your device
    -Trusted worldwide with over 7 million invisibleSHIELDs sold
    -45 day money back guarantee

I have had bad drops to devices with these shields applied to them, like once i tripped and basically slid my old 2007 MBP across my driveway. The concrete did heavy damage to the Zagg shield but the computer was unscratched. Called Zagg, told them my shield was all messed up and explained what happened. They overnighted me another shield 100% free, no questions asked. That, is confidence in their product.

16. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

That is absolutely amazing! Thanks so so so so much!

17. Err0xx macrumors member

I think thats a good decision. Incase makes some excellent neoprene sleeves. I have a lot of friends that use em and swear by em. I haven't used one myself, but if i ever bought one, that would be my first choice to try. I think you'll be completely happy with the zagg + sleeve combo.

18. RedJeans thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking on the Zagg site and they don't seem to have an Invisible Shield for the Macbook Pro (13") :S

19. Err0xx macrumors member