Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released Keyboard Software Update 1.2. Apple states that the update is intended to provide support for Apple's aluminum keyboard special features. The 35.3 MB update requires Mac OS 10.4.10.

In addition, Apple also released Compatibility Update for QuickTime 7.2, which promises increased compatibility with iLife. The 18.1 MB update requires Mac OS 10.3.9 or 10.4.9 or later and QuickTime 7.2.

Article Link

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
hmm.. should I trust this Keyboard Software Update? The 1.1 release messed up my MDD G4. I guess Leopard should ship with the keyboard software right out of the box.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Changes I've noticed in the keyboard update:

Command + F3 (Expose) now performs Expose Hide.
Control + F3 (Expose) now performs Application Expose.
Option + F3 (Expose) or Option + F4 (Dashboard) brings up the Dashboard and Expose preferences.

I believe this functionality was intended to be in the original keyboard update, but never worked for most people (including me).

TC Schiller

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
Although the Exposé and Dashboard buttons work for me now, I still get a low-power notice when plugging my 2G iPod Nano into my keyboard's USB slot.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
oddly I just plugged a new alu keyboard into my macbook for the first time, and ran software update, it gave me version 1.2 but only 22.9Mb
So the full version is 22.9Mb, the update is 35?Mb?? :eek:

I'm installing it now (Keyboard Software Update 1.2) and it's 19.4MB, not 35 or 23MB...

What's going on? Is there different versions of that 1.2 update or am I missing something?

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
I'm installing it now (Keyboard Software Update 1.2) and it's 19.4MB, not 35 or 23MB...

What's going on? Is there different versions of that 1.2 update or am I missing something?

Your machine is pulling the version from software update that it needs. It's a rather elegant solution on the back-end, frankly. Nothing to worry about. :)

**and sorry for the double post**

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
does anyone know if the update lets us use USB 2.0 devices with any mac except the iMac?
Why? You can't use them now?

I've never had a problem using USB 2.0 devices on any Mac, although one third-party PCI card I tried in my PMG4 was flaky.

If you think it will somehow make a 1.1 port run at 2.0 speeds, however, that's not going to happen. That would require new hardware.
Although the Exposé and Dashboard buttons work for me now, I still get a low-power notice when plugging my 2G iPod Nano into my keyboard's USB slot.
And you always will. Your keyboard has a non-powered hub in it. It can't provide the current needed to charge an iPod. If you don't want to attach your iPod directly to the computer, you'll have to buy a powered hub. (Unless you have the new aluminum keyboard attached to one of the new iMacs. ...)
oddly I just plugged a new alu keyboard into my macbook for the first time, and ran software update, it gave me version 1.2 but only 22.9Mb
So the full version is 22.9Mb, the update is 35?Mb?? :eek:
I would assume that you already had the previous keyboard update (1.1) installed. Mac OS updates are the same, with smaller updates for those upgrading from the previous version and large "combo" updaters for everybody else.

As for what this does, I'll see when I get home. Although I don't have one of the new keyboards, the previous keyboard updater allowed me to assign functions to the F13-F15 keys on my Apple Pro keyboard (the one that came with my PowerMac G4, not the keyboard from a Mac Pro, although they probably behave the same WRT this problem). Unfortunately, the settings don't persist after a reboot or logoff. Hopefully, this update will fix that.

UPDATE: This update didn't fix that. Apparently, when the Dashboard/Exposé keys are set via the keyboard shortcuts control panel, they don't survive a logout. They have to be changed via the Dashboard/Exposé control panel, which doesn't allow you to choose F14 or F15. Fortunately, I did find this article which explains how to hack-in the mapping by editing the plist file, which worked, so I'm happy.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle

You never will be able to charge your iPod from the keyboard usb port. The USB2 specs don't allow the keyboard to draw enough power to provide a powered port out of the keyboard.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Apple states that the update is intended to provide support for Apple's aluminum keyboard special features.

It's interesting that my iMac AL which shipped with the new AL keyboard, has been able to use all the special keyboard features from day one. I wonder if the system that shipped with these iMacs had code that wasn't in the 1.1 update.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
Does the keyboard update fix the caps lock key unresponsiveness?

I bought one of the new keyboard and had to return it, all of the keyboards in the store had the same problem as well. Caps Lock key barely works(try pressing it fast)

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
It's interesting that my iMac AL which shipped with the new AL keyboard, has been able to use all the special keyboard features from day one. I wonder if the system that shipped with these iMacs had code that wasn't in the 1.1 update.

I've been following this with confusion as well. My aluminum iMac is the same...never had any problems with the keyboard functionality, including the special keys.

Anyone know what's supposedly been fixed in each update? :confused:

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Does the keyboard update fix the caps lock key unresponsiveness?

Caps Lock key barely works(try pressing it fast)

You know, I never actually played with that. It does seem to require holding it for a half-second, probably to reduce accidentally turning it on with a stray finger press. I actually can't remember the last time I used the Caps Lock on a keyboard, so I actually prefer this (presumably intentional) behavior.

ashawley

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
You never will be able to charge your iPod from the keyboard usb port. The USB2 specs don't allow the keyboard to draw enough power to provide a powered port out of the keyboard.

That's strange..then why is my iPod flashing "Charging" right now. Are you saying it'll never reach a full charge through the keyboard? I could have sworn that it has before...

There's no reason why they couldn't simply add a hub built into the keyboard. Is there?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
That's strange..then why is my iPod flashing "Charging" right now. Are you saying it'll never reach a full charge through the keyboard? I could have sworn that it has before...

There's no reason why they couldn't simply add a hub built into the keyboard. Is there?

From apple.com/keyboard:

*Devices that draw high power from the USB connection, such as iPods, hard drives and some flash drives, can only be used with the new keyboard when it is attached to the aluminum iMac.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
my AL imac with the new keyboard charges my iphone all the time. I have seen a few threads about this feature not working on other macs using the new keyboard though

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
35MB for a Keyboard update? :eek:

That's to install the hidden flight simulator easteregg.

To activate it, click on the desktop, press Apple + Option + H, then turn your keyboard over, and press a hidden button located under one of the labels.

Enjoy! (only works with 10.4)

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
mine worked just fine with my pre-Al iMac as well once i software updated (this was a couple of days after they were released). so i'm guessing i won't see any benefit from this update then (just less free disk space)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.