Keyboard and Trackpad automatically go to sleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ProfNaz, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ProfNaz macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm new to macs. Just received my iMac!

I ran a search on the forums but couldn't find anything.

I was wondering...

If I put my iMac in "sleep mode" (not shut down) will the keyboard and trackpad go into economy/sleep mode too?

Also, how long do peoples keyboard and trackpads usually last before needing new batteries?

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2007
    I think they sleep (in terms of the bluetooth connection) all on their own. I don't use a wireless keyboard, but in my experience my trackpad lasts about a month, using rechargeables. And I strongly recommend rechargeables!
  3. xMClass macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2011
    How long the battery lasts depends on your amount of use. If I remember correctly, I only had to change batteries once a month on my old iMac's magic mouse and keyboard.
  4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2012
    Denver Colorado
    I don't use my BT keyboard as much as some so I only change the batteries once every 6-8 months or so. I do use it everyday, I just use it very little, mostly to type in a TV show name or use the arrow keys in iTunes. I bought a Magic Trackpad last night to go with this MacBook which is a 2008 black MB.

My BT keyboard was bought in 2008.
  5. ProfNaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2012
    Thanks for all your replies.

That seems great.

I think I'll be in the 6 month range too. I don't use the keyboard much either and if I play a game, I'll be using a USB gamers mouse.