Keyboard backlight backwards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac.User, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Mac.User, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Mac.User macrumors 6502

When I'm in a bright room my LCD gets brighter, as it should so I can read it. The keyboard thought also gets brighter. Shouldn't it go DOWN in brightness in bright rooms as if the rooms lit what use is a backlight keyboard? Shouldn't the brightness on it go OFF to partly counter the power usage of the brighter LCD and help battery usage?

2. wbtlevi macrumors newbie

In a bright room you can see the keyboard better. Why would you like a light behind the keys?
    The lights are designed to be able to see in the dark.
    Edit: I see that yours does not seem to do this. My bad.
    Mine gets darker when it's brighter.

3. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Do you have the option checked in keyboard settings?

4. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

Its on the default of "adjust Keyboard Brightness in Low light"

I noticed this on both my 15in and 13in laptops. They both get brighter in bright rooms, instead of dimmer.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I brighter places the keyboard backlight should get brighter so you can see the light. It doesn't use much power at all to run the keyboard backlight so it's not a big deal either way. If you don't like the way it's changing just adjust it your self.

It works on the exact same concept as the LCD, your eyes don't need as much light to see the keyboard backlight or the LCD in the dark.

6. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do I NEED the light if the room is well lit? TO make it look pretty? The point of a backlight is to see they keys in the dark. Sometimes in sunlight even on full brightness I still can't even tell it's lit. so it's using battery for no reason, no matter how little that is, its pointless.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It adds contrast to the keys. It's overcast, but I'm in a room with a lot of windows and setting the keyboard backlight to 100% and to 0% I can see a big difference. I'm going to keep it where my MBP thought it should be ~90-100%, I like it that way, it's a lot easier to read the keys (and I have 20/10 vision, which is very good).