Keyboard backlight failures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sabre364, Jul 18, 2009.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

Anybody been having this? The backlight still lights up behind the keyboard but only brightly in a V shape in the middle of the keyboard, the rest of it is very dim.

This happened to me a while back and I just got the laptop back the other day. They had put in a new keyboard (along with a new hard drive and optical drive - but those are another story).

Just now, my backlight came on since I turned off the room's main light and turned on a small lamp and lo and behold...the backlight is messed up again! Same as it was before, I know for a fact it was working earlier today.

All I've done is change the ram and use migration assistant to get a couple things over. I'm not sure how I could have damaged the light by taking out the 3 screws for the ram door...I didn't put barely any pressure on them. I'm not sure if either of those two things caused it but I'm shocked.

Now I have to give up my computer again. :mad: Nearest apple store is over an hour, it was 3 weeks last time I gave my computer up (gave it to school's IT crew, who forwards it to apple - but I get a loaner this way).

This a common issue (like the optical drive failures) or am I doing something wrong...:confused:

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

Did you turn the backlight all the way to the max?
    Try removing the lamp and see if it goes brighter.
    Bear in mind not all leds are made the same, hence the difference in brightness.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    p3ncil

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The backlight is now perfectly even. Letter keys have two leds, while the space bar is packed full of leds. And the F keys only have one led.