Keyboard Backlight issue with new 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Segmaster, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Segmaster macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I just received a new MacBook Pro for Christmas, and obviously I was extremely excited. However, I just now noticed that the keyboard backlight never turns off on my laptop. Even in bright light, the backlight on the keyboard stays lit.

The function keys for controlling the backlight work as they should, and the option in System Preferences to disable it also works. There appears to be no automatic dimming going on, however.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

2. darknite38 macrumors regular

What you may think to be "bright light" may not completely be bright light. Try holding up the sensor by the iSight camera literally right next to a light bulb. Then see if the light goes off. Go in your keyboard preferences and make sure that the box is unchecked "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions." If it goes off, good. When you check it back on the keyboard light will turn on if the light isn't bright enough.

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with having the backlit keyboard on all the time. I just have mine on the lowest brightness just so I can see but so it also isn't too bright.

It is most likely that nothing is wrong with your computer, stop being so paranoid.

3. Segmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I guess I am a bit paranoid- you got that part right!

I unchecked the box like you said, and the backlight did indeed turn off. I suppose I'll just ignore it for now; I mainly asked because I'm new to Mac and didn't know if I had missed a setting for this feature.