Keyboard Backlight not always working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martindj, Dec 1, 2010.

1. martindj macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

my first post here :)

I have a Macbook Pro (Newest gen.) and sometimes the keyboard backlight wont turn on. I suspect it to happen when I have had the Macbook on standby, but I don't know for sure if that is what does it.

Then i press the backlight-adjust buttons on the keyboard, this OSD-symbol turns up: http://peecee.dk/uploads/122010/Screen_shot_2010-12-01_at_9.42.26_AM_big_thumb.png

Do anybody know what I can do? Do a firmware upgrade or such?

Regards
    Martin

2. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

That icon usually means the light sensor thinks there's enough ambient light to turn on the Keyboard backlight. Are you having this issue in a dimly lit environment?

3. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

agree with above poster, this means that there is enough light going into the sensor that it won't adjust the backlight of the keyboard. Mine does the same thing and changes to adjustments when the room becomes dimly lit.

Try covering either/both of the speaker panels (for 15" at least) and see if the screen dims/keyboard backlight turns on. You should then be able to adjust the backlight.

Also, if you want to keep it on all the time, there's a program called lab tick that will control this for you.

http://labtick.proculo.de/

4. martindj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, that was it! Lol, if i hold my hand over the camera, it works!

5. case2001 macrumors 6502

LOL...I brought my MacBook Pro to the office today and tried to turn on the keyboard backlight...When it didn't work I thought must be something wrong. Glad to find this thread...Thanks...

6. wikedsinn macrumors newbie

keyboard backlight problem on 13" pro

Thanks for this thread. I recently bought a refurbished 13" macbook pro and moved to very Sunny California. i thought i had gotten a bum mac until I did a little digging. This article kept me from a long trip to the genius bar.:D