Keyboard Backlight not working after small spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stringerhye, Aug 6, 2010.

1. stringerhye macrumors regular

stringerhye

Hey guys,
    I was drinking some tea and bumped into the table the mug was sitting on. A couple of drops splashed out and got on my unibody macbook pro's keyboard. I quickly wiped it off and turned off the computer. I let it sit for a while, but I didn't think anything of it because it was only a few drops. I turned it on and it was fine, however the keyboard's backlight is dim on the right side of the keyboard.

So my question now is do you think that Apple will know that I dropped water on it? Am I screwed?

Thanks.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, they will. The keyboard has water sensors in it and if it stops working it's a good chance the sensors got triggered as well. Worth a try to take to the Apple genius and let them inspect it. No need to tell them that you spilled anything but if they say there's water damage don't deny it because they know what's up?
    In the future I suggest that you get a silicon keyboard cover. This forum has way too many spill threads and seems like no on learns from other's mistakes here.

3. stringerhye thread starter macrumors regular

stringerhye

I wish there were a way to see if the water sensors got tripped. Because It wasn't like a whole lot of liquid. It was just enough to make the backlight stop working properly. And the keyboard cover would've been a good idea. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Will every key respond when you type on it? If so then that's a good sign but then again the backlight is still separate. You could try resetting the PRAM or the SMC.

5. stringerhye thread starter macrumors regular

stringerhye

All the keys are working. Like I said the computer was fine. I think it just got down into the backlight and that was it. The keys were kind of sticky after. But I cleaned them with some alcohol and they are fine now.