Keyboard backlight not working properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kris-hm, Apr 17, 2014.

1. kris-hm macrumors member

I recently replaced a keyboard on a 2011 13inch macbook pro. the issue was the keyboard had been liquid damaged and was not working, however the logicboard was unaffected at all as i carefully examined it and found no residue at all. Lucky if you ask me. While the keyboard did not work the backlight on the keyboard did. I ordered a new keyboard and it came with its own backlight, so i used the one it came with. When i installed it and put everything back together, the backlight was working, but was only working right on a portion of the keyboard. while i can see light under all the keys, only a small number of them are lit like they are supposed to be. So, i painstakingly took the computer back apart and replaced the backlight with the one that was on the computer to begin with, but it had the same issue. I fear i must have installed it incorrectly or something. Im not really sure. Since then ive attempted reseating the backlight several times and im really getting worn out on taking this thing apart.

This is what im looking at:
    http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/ChrisMalicoat/image.jpeg

I have the brightness on high but the only part of the board thats really bright is the middle section in the picture. the rest is rather dim. Not sure why. But i know for a fact that the backlight that was on the original keyboard did work before i replaced it. So it has to be user error somewhere, i just dont really know where. This is the first time ive installed a keyboard in a mbp, so im sure ive made a simple mistake somewhere.
    The plastic part that goes between the backlight and the keyboard is installed, but perhaps its not aligned correctly or something? idk
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. kris-hm thread starter macrumors member

No one has any idea why it might not be working right? It lights the whole keyboard, but only one section of it seems to be working correctly, (the brightest part in the picture i provided)
    I did a keyboard replacement and reinstalled the backlight with all the parts i took out of it. I have no idea why it isn't working correctly. Any help at all. Tell me i did something wrong, or tell me i couldn't have possibly done anything wrong in installing the backlight. Give me something so i know where I'm hunting to solve this issue. This is the first macbook pro I've taken the keyboard out of and replaced, so i do not know if i could have reassembled it slightly incorrectly and that would cause the backlight in the keyboard to not function properly.

3. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I've never taken a mbp apart before but I'm thinking along the line of the connector. Did water get to this part? What type of liquid was it? Sugar filled? Check the connector for traces n clean them up if you can.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This seems like it needs a classic SMC reset, but the liquid damage may have compromised the connection. Give it a shot by reviewing the article here. Best of luck...

5. kris-hm thread starter macrumors member

i got nothin, I've tried but theres just no change in the backlight. i don't understand what the issue could be.
    There must be a component on the board than is malfunctioning.
    Any idea what it is?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I personally do not know what component does this. Does the MacBook's keyboard keys for adjusting the backlight work?