Keyboard backlight pricing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac_dummy, Nov 6, 2016.

1. mac_dummy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just got my Late 2011 MBP back from repair for the failing video issue. I have been setting it up and going over everything. I noticed the backlight on the keyboard seems uneven, the right side is really dim.

It may have been like this and I didn't notice, heck, I didn't even know the Optical drive wasn't working. It was replaced during the video repair.

I read some instructions on how to replace it but there is no way I can work on something that small. And my local Mac Store has really bad reviews for repair.

Getting a straight answer form Apple Care support has been a problem in the past so I thought I would ask here, what is the going rate to install a new keyboard backlight?

Thanks Again.

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The keyboard backlight is part of the keyboard. If there is a problem with the keyboard, then most likely you would replace the keyboard to fix that.

I would suggest (because you just had a repair) that you go back to Apple with your question. It's possible that, when they replaced the logic board to fix your video problem, that a connection is not quite in place, or the logic board (which provides power for the backlight) is faulty for that reason. Your replacement logic board has a 90 day service warranty from Apple.
    And, if the problem is NOT the logic board, that shop will be the place that can verify that. If the problem is not in any way related to your previous repair, and the keyboard has to be replaced, then you can decide if you want to spend money to fix a 5-year-old system for a relatively minor issue... (just my opinion, there :D )

3. mac_dummy thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice. I should know better but I am not sure my OCD would allow to me to leave the keyboard backlight in this state.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Then, start with the shop where you had your MBPro repaired.
    Maybe there will be no additional charge (depends on what they find out), but if you are concerned that you can't "unsee" the problem (and I understand that, I really do...) - then the previous repair might be the issue. You won't know that for sure until you ask, eh?

5. theitsage Suspended

The keyboard backlight is a separate layer underneath the keyboard with its own ribbon cable connector. It's tiny and if not inserted fully may cause the issue you're experiencing. I'd recommend contacting Apple Support.

I've seen MBPs came back from GPU repair and they were put back together in a hurry. One had the logic board screwed on off alignment. Another had the heat sink put back without any screw. I would not doubt the keyboard backlight cable is half way in.

6. mac_dummy thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to do that. However, when I got the repair done, I mailed it in. I had heard and read some bad things about the closest Apple store regarding repair so I called in to Apple Care instead. I am glad I did, because the store wanted to charge me $900 to repair the video issue.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2016 ---

Ugh. This is the kind of thing I was worried about. I never thought the logic board replacement would be botched if it was sent in. When i read replacing the keyboard required dealing with many screws, I pictured someone at the Apple Store repair slapping it back in, missing some screws and stripping threads... etc etc.