Keyboard backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stieny, Dec 23, 2008.

1. stieny macrumors member

So I know this has be discussed but and I've searched it but haven't found any answers to my specific question.

Forgive me but I am a new Mac user.

My keyboard dims after I don't use the computer for a certain amount of time. I understand this and know its a normal function of the computer.

But I have it set to do that after 5 min in my system preferences and my keyboard does it after 3 min everytime. I can not figure out why it keeps doing that. Its that normal? I would assume not. Why would the settings say 5 and the computer do something different. If I change it to 1 min it will do it after 1 min. Change back to 5 min and dims after 3.

Ideas?

2. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Nobody?

I should clarify: when I say dim I mean turn off. In the preferences you can choose a time to turn off the keyboard after a period of inactivity. All other settings work except the 5 min setting turns it off at 3 min.

EDIT: I restored the defaults on the energy saver preferences and turned the screen saver to never (was on 5 min). Now the keyboard turns itself off after 2 min when I have it on the 5 min setting. At both the 3 min and 2 min point where the keyboard turns off, the screen dims unless I choose to not dim screen before sleep. If I choose not to dim the screen the keyboard is still turning off at 3 min and now 2 min. This is so frustrating.