Keyboard Brightness F1 and F2 button wont work MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jevillarosa, Mar 26, 2013.

1. jevillarosa macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a problem with my Keyboard brightness (F1 and F2)

I already tried to go to the Preferences>Keyboard and Use all F1 F2 keys as standard function

I also tried switching keyboards

Sometimes it works when i tweak some random settings on the display preferences like the underscan on the second display monitor (weird)
    but after i restart it wont work again

I have 2 Display monitor one is the thunderbolt display and a samsung monitor
    could it be possible that i haven't used the thunderbolt display for about 5 months thats why its being weird? (btw i haven't used the display because my macpro was sent to the powermac to be repaired)

Please help Thanks

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Mac Pro or MacBook Pro?

If Mac Pro how are you getting a TB display woking?

3. jevillarosa thread starter macrumors newbie

hi

TB display is working fine the only thing that didn't work was the brightness button on my keyboard.

just now i think the problem was the cable of the TB display was probably loose because when i tried to use photobooth it could not detect the camera so i figured the cable was the reason i tried to reconnect the cables behind the macpro and the camera work and so did the brightness button on the keyboard

i think this is resolved. i hope it works continuously

Thanks

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So it was a MacBook Pro correct?

5. jevillarosa thread starter macrumors newbie

no sir this is a MacPro
    [​IMG][/url]
    pic upload[/IMG]

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

then how did you get the Thunderbolt display working without a Thunderbolt port?

7. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

The first thing I would have suggested was to look at the Keyboard Settings F1/F2 that you have already checked. It sounds like you have already done the most obvious.

Is the problem resolved if you disconnect all devices apart from the keyboard and the non-TB monitor?

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I would like to know that as well, but unlikely we get the answer.

9. jevillarosa thread starter macrumors newbie

pardon i was referring to the display I'm not very literate on these things :p

----------

yes, I tried to disconnect the devices because it was just newly set up so i thought it wasn't properly connected

Thank you for contributing :)

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

What I'm getting at is you cannot connect a Thunderbolt display to a Mac Pro...you can however connect them to hackintoshes..

11. riverwater macrumors member

Second this, I don't think Thunderbolt works on Mac Pro. I have 2 ACD connect to Mac Pro, however, the F1/F2 can only control brightness on the main display, not on the 2nd display though.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The MiniDisplayPort and the Thunderbolt port connection is the same.

The signal to the Thunderbolt display is a MiniDisplayPort video signal, the video will work on a Thunderbolt display when hooked to a MiniDisplayPort Mac, however, the Thunderbolt ports and Thunderbolt functionality will not work. It operates as a MiniDisplayPort Cinema Display but you do not have Thunderbolt functionality unless your Mac is equipped with Thunderbolt ports (late 2011 or newer).

13. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Physically but not electrically. The active pins and signals on them are different.

Thunderbolt controllers have a backward compatible bypass they can use but a DisplayPort controller in a computer can't drive a TB display. Not going to work.

Not. The signal sent to a TB display is a Thunderbolt signal not a DisplayPort signal. It is decoded and switched to DisplayPort on the other side of a TB controller but it isn't transmitted that way. That is exactly why can get two DP v1.1 signals on a single "video' connection with TB but not supported in that version of the DP protocols.

More likely this is a LED Cinema display that happens to look like a TB Cinema display and there is just confusion. Someone with a clue probably sold him the proper combination.

14. adaptabi macrumors newbie

adaptabi

After 3 days research, with no luck, I was able to restore the F1/F2 keyboard to work again and control the display brightnes in w10 / bootcamp after I did a SMC reset on my mid 2015 MBP 15"
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

15. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

Hey, dont necro threads last seen 4 years ago.