Keyboard Broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by needaFixMyKeyB, Sep 28, 2014.

1. needaFixMyKeyB, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

needaFixMyKeyB macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a 13" MBP from Late 2013 and wanted to use it after a couple of days of not using it. Sadly, I discovered the keyboard has broken. Whenever I press Left shift, left ctrl or left alt, all three of those keys are triggered. Right shift works fine. I did not test right ctrl and right alt.

I thought this is a software problem at first (pressing some key combination by accident, e.g. the last time I cleaned my keyboard, or faulty third party software), because according to my understanding of keyboards, it's not possible for them to break in a combination like that.

However, I also tried the bootcamp partition and it's exactly the same there, so a software problem is not very likely.

Does anyone know what I can try to fix this??

Best regards,
    a desperate mac user

Edit:

- Only the right shift appears to be working fine.
    - I tried an external keyboard and it worked fine
    - The affected keys began to trigger even when not touching any of them, which makes ignoring them and using right shift impossible
    - Every other key is working fine

How could this happen? Does this fall under warranty?

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Bad keyboard. I, too, have had most of my apple keyboards destroyed.

It's water damage. One tiny, TINYYY, drop of water can DESTROY it.

3. needaFixMyKeyB thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I do to get this fixed and how much will it cost me? I really need this macbook for university, especially because my desktop PC is about to break as well (need to return the faulty video card...).