Keyboard caps not working after cleaning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Giuanniello, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Yesterday I had the brilliant idea to clean the upper case of my MBPro 15", I sprayed some soap on a sponge and took off the dirt out of the top surface and keyboard while computer was off, I then wiped it all off with some soft paper, after switching it on I found the trackpad not to work, I gave it a clean with a soft cloth and it is back working but found out that three caps out of the keyboard are not working, allowed almost a full day to see if it works back but still the same, any hint at what to try?

thank you

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you may have used too much liquid and the cleaning solution got inside and may have shorted something out. I had something similar occur on a keyboard - it never came back to life. I'm not sure there's much you can do, other then wait to see it drys out, put it in a bag of rice to help the drying process or call apple.

3. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Hello, back here, can't really stand this issue, I used a soft cloth slightly wet and am sure there could drip no liquid anywhere cos it was literally just moist, maybe it got sticky somewhere cos it was a sort of grease remover (...).

By the way, a cap or two came back to life but I still have ESC - illumination up - TAB - 2 - left command stuck, lifted off two of them just to look at underneath them but they seem clean, no traces of anything, I'd like to try to figure it out how these caps work, if it is just mechanical or if there is some electronic actuation, also, what can I do to try and clean if there still is some grease there, alcohol?

Thank you