Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
My keyboard has had this problem since it was new. Whenever you want a capital " I " it rarely is capitalized, I'm always going back to correct them and having to pound on the letter during the process. The i is the worst for capitalizing but occures with others.

I never found any adjustments for key pressure, is this a common problem? What would be the recommended replacement. Thanks-:rolleyes:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Are you sure it's the I key and not the shift key that's sticky? That would make more sense given the problem you describe, and chances aren't bad that you unconsciously use a different amount of force on the shift depending on what other key you are typing.

Most keyboards have little metal assemblies under large keys like shift and space that sometimes get wedged (it could be a little bit of dirt, some plastic left over from manufacturing, or it just got twisted a little if the keyboard was dropped or jostled at some point). Sometimes the metal wire falls out of its clip on the underside of the key.

With most Apple desktop keyboards you can gently (take your time) pry the keys out to clean and reseat things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.