Keyboard case for *fast* touch typist, 2018 iPad 9.7"?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Aston441, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Aston441 macrumors 65816

With a good mechanical full-size keyboard I average ~120wpm depending on caffeine levels.

At the same time I'd like to keep the iPad/case/keyboard combo as slim and light as possible so obviously some compromise is in order.

I don't really have any opportunity to test out different keyboards.

Should I just get the Apple keyboard? I have had VERY bad experiences with Logitech over the years so I'm very wary of anything they make.

I guess what I'm looking for is a slim, light, durable keyboard with only very light pressure needed to get the key to register, and a definite sharp response/feeling when the key is pressed. I HATE MUSHY KEYBOARDS.

Also I'd like excellent iPad protection.

Less key travel distance is a PLUS for me. I don't need full travel distance, nor do I need an audible sound. In fact I prefer a silent keyboard.

The best fastest keyboard I ever had was on a stock Amiga 1000 if anyone ever had a chance to use one of those.

Any recommendations?

Also, does the Apple keyboard work with a slim TPU case, or would I have to remove the case first?

Edit: wait, does Apple even make a keyboard for the 2018 iPad? The regular cheap iPad.

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I type really fast too—not as fast as you, but about 75-85 wpm with accuracy. I have always liked the Apple Smart Keyboards as far as feel and travel. They were too cramped on the 9.7” iPad Pro but I really like them on the 10.5” and 12.9” models. I’m assuming I still will on the Keyboard Folio.

I ditched mine for a while for a Zagg keyboard case for a while because I was so sick of the stupid ledge in the middle when it was folded up, but these new models got rid of that.

I’m assuming you, like myself, don’t care about lack of backlighting. I never look down at the keys for positioning or to find anything.

Edit: Just saw your edit. No, there is no Apple brand keyboard for the standard iPad, but I highly recommend Zagg and Logitech for third party stuff.

3. flur macrumors 68020

flur

I have the older version of the Apple magic keyboard and it’s great. I use it with my iPad Air 2 all the time. It’s not as light or tiny as some of the others but provides the experience you need and absolutely is portable.

I don’t know about the case you’re referring to so I can’t speak on that. I bought a case that mine clicks into where the top folds back into a stand for the iPad. It keeps the keys clean and safe in my bag and tilts the iPad at just the right angle for working at a desk, and it was cheap. It does not attach to the iPad for carrying or protection - I don’t think you’d want that with this keyboard. I just keep a smart cover on my iPad and put it in a sleeve when it’s in my bag.

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

I LOVE my Magic Keyboard I use with my Mac. I fly on that thing.

5. Aston441 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all for the replies!

Next time I'm in an Apple Store I'll look at the magic keyboard. I didn't realize that was an option.

I saw so many negative reviews on Amazon about the non existent longevity of both the Zagg and the Logitech I decided to skip both. I ordered a cheap no name keyboard with good (probably fake lol) reviews.