keyboard + cats

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cgfour, Nov 15, 2007.

1. cgfour macrumors newbie

Is there a way I can disable my keyboard and mouse from waking the computer and only use the power button (running leopard)? If not by the OS then by third party solution?

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I don't know, but my cat does the same thing! In his estimation the Mac Pro gets too much attention.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL that's funny. I turn my mouse and keyboard off @ night. I have a BT keyboard and a cordless logitech mouse. Can you do that with yours?

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Same here. Comes dinner time there is some pretty nifty paw work on the keys…

Clever little buggers… :)

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Yep. I will also add that my cat - simply by resting on the keyboard, managed to completely rename my Documents folder, as well as create an extra folder.

6. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Well, at least be thankful cats do that. My dog was running around and tripped on the power cable of my old VAIO laptop and dropped it..... Well, it was a signal from above because if he had not done that, I would've not have my Macbook with me right now, me staying in the Dark Side trying to fix a nasty virus as we speak....
    :apple::apple::apple:

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That's why they are called "Man's best friend". ;) :D

9. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Lock/logout your workstation. I'm guessing as smart as your cat is, the chances of him randomly getting your password right are pretty slim.

10. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

not unless it is: no43stjjtnsithwirtf2k4nisotmop,.,...ffvg..../moggooomgdddddddddddkkddddd
    :D

gB

11. cruelmemory macrumors member

You could always setup a have-a-heart trap. Little bugger won't do it again :-D

Seriously though, Open system preferances and click security. Under the general tab, check the box that says: Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver.

That should do it (also, maybe set your screen saver start time kinda short. 3 minutes?).

12. cgfour thread starter macrumors newbie

I did resort to unplugging the keyboard. I just was hoping for a concrete solution to turn off keyboard and mouse input while in sleep mode. I have a dynamic duo (brother and sister) of cats. They follow each other everywhere and when one goes on my desk the other follows. They also like to punch the mouse cursor when it moves. Luckily I have an iMac with glass front so it is fairly safe from scratches. I don't really feel like shutting down at night but might resort to that in order to get sleep. I have the Apple remote by my bed to put the computer to sleep but most of the time they knock that on the floor/carry it off somewhere. One cat uses the new Apple keyboard as a massage bed and rubs his body on the keys.

I hope Apple will put a check box in energy saver or keyboard/mouse settings to disable input in sleep mode from external devices.

PS: They new stix (could be wrong but the glowing streak) visualizer in iTunes is fun to watch with the cats in front of the screen in fullscreen mode.