Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StinkyDonk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
I've just switched from iOS5 to iOS7 & noticed 2 things i don't like. 1 of them i was aware of before the switch.

1. The speech bubble colouring - i knew of this before the switch. How can you change it? Is jailbreaking the only way? If so, what's the name of these hacks?

2. When texting in iOS5, at the start of a sentence, after a full stop (think some call it a period depending on what country you're from) the keyboard would be in all capitals, because that's how you start a sentence (obviously) & then for the next letter it auto-switched to lower case lettering on the keyboard (thee visual keyboard).
With iOS7 on the other hand, the keyboard permanently stays in capitals ...
...why & how can you change this?

Last edited:

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
I've just switched from iOS5 to iOS7 & noticed 2 things i don't like. 1 of them i was aware of before the switch.

1. The speech bubble colouring - i knew of this before the switch. How can you change it? Is jailbreaking the only way? If so, what's the name of these hacks?

2. When texting in iOS5, at the start of a sentence, after a full stop (think some call it a period depending on what country you're from) the keyboard would be in all capitals, because that's how you start a sentence (obviously) & then for the next letter it auto-switched to lower case lettering on the keyboard (thee visual keyboard).
With iOS7 on the other hand, the keyboard permanently stays in capitals ...
...why & how can you change this?

For the 1st: Messages Customiser can do - JB required, though

and the 2nd: activate Auto-Capitalization in Settings>General>Keyboard

StinkyDonk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Thanks

For the 2nd i was a bit worried someone may think what it seems you did...

Let's say i want to say...

Hi Bob. Where are you.

I don't mean that it doesn't put the H, the B & more importantly the W as a capital because it still does.

I mean when i'm looking at the keyboard as i text, the characters on the keyboard don't switch from uppercase to lowercase when switching from the beginning letter in a sentence to the rest of the sentence.

Now i don't have iOS5 i'm not sure how else to describe it. Sorry.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds like you're looking for showcase. It's a tweak that changes the capitalization of the virtual keyboard as you type.

StinkyDonk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Hi. Yes you're right. I found that after i posted this thread & it solves the problem. Thanks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.