Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaliKW

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Loving my tbMBP
So.... I've mostly gotten used to the shallow travel... but now there is a 3mm 'hole' in the black/brown keyboard shell, so the the return key now looks like the 'caps lock' key circle / light thingie. Wow Im bad at explaining this.

Imagine that circle on caps locks that illuminates, is on the return key --- I don't remember when/\how this happened, but sheesh this thing is only 1 month old....

Will talk to Apple on Monday -- anyone else have this happen to their new machine yet?

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Can you take some pictures for us?

From your description, assuming it is just flaking off, it sounds like this would not be normal and it should be something the Apple will take care of for you. That is assuming that damage was not done to the keyboard by something falling onto it, etc.

CaliKW

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Loving my tbMBP
Here is the damaged return key, can definitely feel there is an indent where the coating has come off...

sigh....

Attachments

• IMG_2021.JPG
    IMG_2021.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,020

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
So much for quality of the Pro. I am glad I returned mine. Let us know how it goes with Apple.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Something looks odd about that key, it looks like it's been cleaned with some kind of harsh cleaner and rubbed you can see the outline, are you sure you didn't clean your keyboard with something and rubbed it. I find it hard to believe something like that came out of the box like that.

Reactions: myscrnnm

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Hmmmm.....my tbMBP has a completely different return key.

I'm calling shenanigans.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Well blow me, I didn't realise there were different keys.

So I'm guessing the American keyboard has the wording on the return key, but the UK ones don't. Different shapes too.
Wonder why that is?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here is the damaged return key, can definitely feel there is an indent where the coating has come off...

sigh....
Yeah the coating is off, and thus the backlighting is coming through. You're best bet is to call apple and get it corrected.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Well blow me, I didn't realise there were different keys.

So I'm guessing the American keyboard has the wording on the return key, but the UK ones don't. Different shapes too.
Wonder why that is?

Yeah, we're dumb dumbs over here.
[doublepost=1483881864][/doublepost]
I've never seen an Apple keyboard suffering from this specific issue.

I've handled military-grade night vision equipment much, much cheaper than Apple keys... whatever process Apple is using, I'd say it's pretty good.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
My key (US) looks the same as the OP's.

That's definitely not normal; get it fixed, replaced or repaired. I get the feeling that something caused this damage - a harsh cleaning product perhaps - but I have never seen this happen before on any of my products present or past, nor have I ever heard of this happening to anyone else before.

CaliKW

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Loving my tbMBP
My key (US) looks the same as the OP's.

That's definitely not normal; get it fixed, replaced or repaired. I get the feeling that something caused this damage - a harsh cleaning product perhaps - but I have never seen this happen before on any of my products present or past, nor have I ever heard of this happening to anyone else before.

Its my work machine, used only by me. Im a pretty gentle user, so not sure how/when it happened. Certainly not through intentional abuse. Will talk to apple once work settles down a little... and I can live without machine for a day or two.

Will update thread when that happens.

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
This happened to me on the "~" key on my 2011 MBP way back. Took years of use though and I accidentally scratched it off while cleaning it. Way too early for that to be happening normally--so as long as you weren't cleaning the keys really rough I'm sure Apple will repair it.

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas
Its my work machine, used only by me. Im a pretty gentle user, so not sure how/when it happened. Certainly not through intentional abuse. Will talk to apple once work settles down a little... and I can live without machine for a day or two.

Will update thread when that happens.

Keep us updated for sure! I am interested to hear what they have to say and what they do to remedy the situation.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Something looks odd about that key, it looks like it's been cleaned with some kind of harsh cleaner and rubbed you can see the outline, are you sure you didn't clean your keyboard with something and rubbed it. I find it hard to believe something like that came out of the box like that.
I see what you mean. The weathering around the center of the key seems consistent with years of heavy use. Perhaps a cleaner with a caustic agent?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.