iPad Keyboard combined with seperate case/shell?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TheShteve, Apr 6, 2014.

1. TheShteve macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Im looking to buy a keyboard for my new ipad air but dont want the bulk of having it permanently attached. Im thinking of buying a keyboard in the style of the logitech ultrathin cover and a shell compatable with a smart cover, like this one.

Have any of you guys tried a combination like this and if so how did it turn out? Also are there any recommendations regarding either the keyboard or the shell? BTW I'm in the UK, so slightly limited with some of the options (I'm looking at you ZaggKeys Cover...)

Thanks!

2. IvanLasston macrumors newbie

I am using a smart case with a logitech ultra-thin with my iPad mini. I like the combo as when I am using the iPad alone and not doing a bunch of heavy inputting - then I just have the iPad and case. I do have to pop the iPad out of the case to use with the keyboard but it is no big deal. So typically you'll have to pull the iPad out of the case to use with the keyboard - but I don't mind it, YMMV.

Previously - I had a similar combo - except it was the iPad smart cover (vs smart case) plus a Zagg leather back protector. The leather was a lot hardier and protected well. Then I used a Zagg keyboard when necessary. The smart cover and iPad laid up just fine against the keyboard.

I have bought several keyboards, folio types, etc that don't work with the Zagg leather plus thicker Retina Mini - so I haven't put a Zagg leather protector on the Mini yet. The more I try out various keyboard options - the more I am leaning on going back to the smart cover + Zagg leather back + logitech ultra thin keyboard.

The other keyboard combo I do like is the Logitech ultra thin Folio - but there is a major design flaw with it. First - I like it because I can use the iPad as a tablet - or as a keyboard/iPad combo - without having to take it out of the case. The major design flaw is that the plastic clips that hold it will break. No doubt. The clip that covers the power button has a very small piece of plastic that will break. My friend has the Air version and I have the Mini version and both broke in the same place. Even still - the iPad is held in place OK but I am still not pleased with the design.

3. joekim1026 macrumors regular

Maybe the Moshi Versakeyboard? I'm thinking of picking that up!