iPad KeyBoard Compatibility - iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JackRabbitSlims, Oct 17, 2014.

1. JackRabbitSlims macrumors member

Hi.

I'm going to order a new Air 2, but also want a keyboard & cover to go with it.

Can I assume that those for the iPad Air are comparable with the Air 2??

Can anyone recommend a great product? - right now I'm looking at offerings from Logitech and Zagg!

Thanks if you can help me out.
    Cheers.

2. flur, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

flur macrumors 68000

Because the Air 2 is a bit thinner, the existing covers might not be a perfect fit. I suspect they would work, but not as well as a cover/case specifically designed for the new, thinner profile.

3. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Thanks flur.

I'm a bit time crunched right now....want to get an iPad Air 2 and keyboard cover combo before I leave here (NZ) and travel to India / Nepal in 2 weeks time.
    How long do you think before they have Air 2 specific accessories??

4. flur macrumors 68000

That I don't know. It's possible they'll be announced before the Air 2 ships, or it could be weeks/months.

I'd say just go for it and upgrade if new versions are introduced, but they're kinda pricey.

5. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again,
    Yes, just checked with Zagg and they are saying 2-4 weeks before release.

I may just have to move from a keyboard to typing on the screen :)

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Or just pick up any portable Bluetooth enabled keyboard. Lots of them out there--there are threads full of recs in the Accessories part of the forum to help you decide. The advantage to doing that is, you don't have to buy all over again every time you upgrade your tablet.

That said, after using the on screen keyboard exclusively for about two weeks, I was good enough with it that I only pull the Bluetooth keyboard out if I'm going to be doing more than about 1,000 words at a time. The virtual keyboard is fine for most things.

7. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

Thank you IrishVixen.

Thats a good idea!

Cheers for your help :D

8. flur macrumors 68000

I use the screen for most stuff (propped up with the smart cover), and I have an apple bluetooth keyboard and an origami case/stand for when I'm doing dedicated writing. That set up works great for my ipad 4 and I won't have to change anything when my Air 2 arrives.

9. JackRabbitSlims thread starter macrumors member

I want it specifically for travel, so I need something small, light and preferably with a rugged case....any ideas?? (for the keyboard)

I'm going to order the iPad Air 2 today and will also get the "Smart Case" available on the Apple Store.

10. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

This is the one I'm waiting for.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L176/

It has a backlit keyboard and the case can be detached from the keyboard and can be used with an apple Smart Cover! I hope it gets released soon!

Macaddict16