keyboard cover for new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tarheel23, Oct 25, 2008.

1. tarheel23 macrumors member

Does anyone have any recommendations for keyboard covers for the new macbook? I searched and couldnt really find any. My new alum macbook's keys are starting to show dirt/oil even though I dont use it too much.

I know with my ibook G4 i had a problem with the letters on the keyboard fading after use, so Id like to get some protection for my keyboard ASAP. Any suggestions for good keyboard covers that would fit the new macbook?

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm not quite sure a silicone cover would fit. The space between the screen and keys when closed is extremely narrow. I returned my 1st AluMB because the keys were leaving marks on the screen. If you put a silicone cover over these keys, I'd be willing to bet you will be getting oil marks on your screen immediately. i'd rather have oily keys than a marked up screen any day.

Don't forget, the keys are easily replaced, once the parts become readily available. They run a few bucks per key, in the event some of them fade.

3. jettie1767 macrumors regular

I bought iskin protouch fx and it is excellent!

4. nubee macrumors member

I asked about the covers they're selling in stores today and the Apple employee flat out told me to wait for the companies to update them, even though they could "technically" fit. lol

So right now, I'm actually thinking of using Saran wrap when my MacBook arrives. LOL

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I can confirm that the iskin keyboard covers for Macbook Air fit the new glassbook perfectly. No need to wait for an update, there won't be one, as the keyboards are 100% identical.

6. nubee macrumors member

Great! Thanks for letting us know. ^_^

*Finds one to buy*

So wait... Is there a difference between these covers?

http://iskin.com/store/i2shop_kbrd_macBook.tpl?cart=1224978400129215 (the ones on the bottom)

and...

http://iskin.com/store/i2shop_kbrd_air.tpl?cart=1224978400129215

7. Gustavo macrumors newbie

iSkin was too thick for new MacBook Pro

I just got my New MacBook Pro...it is awesome. It definitely needs a keyboard cover. I am a big fan of KB Covers, they are thinner and feel much better than iSkin, however I wasn't sure if this keyboard was the same as the original MacBook layout, so I tried out both.

The iSkin was thick as usual and felt the same...the KB Covers again felt so much better overall. I was only interested in a protection cover, not an application one this time, so I bought the Clear Checkerboard one. I am very happy with it.

On another note, there is very little space between the keyboard and the screen and with the iSkin it didn't allow the screen to close all the way down and fully lock...the thinness of the KB Covers one did not interfere with the lock at all.

8. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Get the one for Macbook Air, the keyboard on the plastic macbook is different than that of the glassbook.

See photos here for my glassbook with the iskin (for MBA).
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=589312

9. nubee macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! :) I'm going to buy one now. ^_^