Keyboard Cover/ Protector?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindWaker, Aug 2, 2012.

1. WindWaker macrumors regular

Hi everybody,

My rMBP will be arriving soon, and I wanted to get something for the keyboard to protect it from skin oils/ liquids in general. I heard about the Moshi somewhere else on this forum, but they said it didn't fit correctly. Can anybody confirm this? Is there anything else that you guys can recommend through use?

I've looked around but can't seem to find anything...

Thanks in advance!

2. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

I just got the Verco from Rearth and its great. Also cheaper then the Moshi. There are some good youtube videos on it.

3. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding! I'll check it out.

4. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Based on what I've seen, it looks really cool! One quick question: do you close the screen when the cover is on? If so, does it touch the screen when doing so, or do you just put the thing on when you open it up?

5. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I have the Moshi, works great, fits well, and it doesn't attract dust like silicone. I couldn't be happier with it!

6. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Is that on the rMBP, and do you close the lid with it on or just apply it every time you lift the screen? Thanks for replying!

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread, but please give your experiences with keyboard protectors for the rMBP or other devices. I've never used a keyboard protector and was wondering if they make the keyboard harder to use, if they trap in heat, or if fingerprints end up on the screen. I'm considering purchasing an rMBP in the near future and would like to do as much as I can to protect my investment.

8. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

On a regular MBP, not the Retina, however I am fairly certain the space between the keys and the screen is the same. I leave it on 24/7, no issues with scratching the screen or anything like that. The only time you have issues is with the anti-glare because it is flexible, not a solid piece of glass. (Silicone iSkin on my flexible iBook screen left marks, no issues on glossy MBP)

My tech friends all think the Moshi traps heat, I do not. It also makes the keyboard quieter, and there is no noticeable difference in typing pressure. Fingerprints only end up on the screen if you touch the screen, but you do have to clean it occasionally.

9. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for responding again! I'm a bit nervous to purchase the Moshi or any keyboard protector because of the depth/ length of the gap between the keyboard and speakers. I'm not sure if that has changed or not from the normal MBP and rMBP.

10. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

I haven't tested it that much but so far it hasn't any marks. You could get the 13inch MBA one if you want, its the same layout but it may be a bit thinner.

11. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Don't get the Moshi right now. It doesn't fit snug like it does on the regular MBP. The outer flap lays over the thinner keyboard bezel on the rMBP.

12. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Ah okay, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming that.

Hmmm... I guess I'll wait a bit then to pick up a KB cover until somebody pushes one out that's compatible for the rMBP. Thanks for posting, everyone!

13. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I've been talking with Moshi on facebook and I mentioned that it wasn't compatible with the new rMBP even though they told me it was. Once I told them they said they were looking into it ASAP. That was on July 18th. I just messaged them 5 minutes ago for any new info.

14. WindWaker thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome thanks, that's a great idea!

15. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Thinking I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on a Moshi, as well. According to this site , http://moshimonde.com/product/clearguard-mb.aspx , it does support the Retina, but they might just have it there until it's ready, or just giving you a non-snug fit model. What do y'all think?

16. SCalkins, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

SCalkins macrumors regular

ISkin -

Don't wast your money. I purchased one and it was conpatable per se.. It fit over the keys but the depth was not correct and it hung over the keys, touching the screen... Also power button, arrow keys .. was not correct size or depth.. I even spent extra on the vibes skin..
    I ended up cutting it to make it fit better.. In the end it sucks

Add- also, because the depth was to thick I had to remove it whenever I wanted to close my rmbp because it would touch the screen

17. BergerFan, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I got a MediaDevil ultra thin TPU transparent keyboard cover(UK keyboard) from Amazon. It fits so snugly, I love it.

Whatever brand you get, make sure it's for the correct keyboard type, as they do differ ever so slightly.

Attached Files:

18. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

How is the condition of your keyboard skin now? In other words, does it get really cloudly looking after prolong use.

19. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

Hi there, so I would like a keyboard cover too but the mediadevil keyboard cover on amazon specifys non-retina version. Ive seen your pics, just wanted double confirmation it fits nicely.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MediaDevil-...MEFI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347041400&sr=8-2

Also their website says its not compatible too, quite specifically! http://mediadevil.com/index.php/bro...k-pro/typeguard-macbook-macbookpro-clear.html

20. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Honestly, it's held up pretty well! I thought it would've yellowed, but it's still the same.

----------

Yeah i saw that and hoped it was a typo, lol.
    Turns out, that it is!
    As long as your RMBP has the UK keyboard, it'll fit perfectly.

21. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

Uppercase Ultra Thin. $7.29 at Amazon. Have them on my 15" MB Pro, 13" MB Air and 11" MB Air. Don't leave home with out one.

Or, $750 for a new logic board when you oops and you know you will.

22. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Does anyone have any insight on which keyboard protector fits the best on the rMBP now that some time has passed? I've read that the Moshi isn't the best for the rMBP.

I'm looking for a keyboard protector with Amazon Prime if possible.

23. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is mediadevil protector such a good one, as moshi?

24. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I would be grateful if somebody could give me the link in amazon, for moshi clearguard for macbook pro 15 retina US keyboard.
    I see several results but I can't find the right one.