Keyboard Cover Recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by p1ngputts, Jun 6, 2011.

1. p1ngputts macrumors member

Loving my macbook pro, and so does my dogs hair. Does anyone prefer one keyboard cover over another? My sister has the iSkin and seems to work fine. Just wondering what other users prefer.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

People say great things about the Moshi cover. I bought a silicone one (like the iSkin) at the Apple store (I forget the brand name) and it was awful. The keys didn't align correctly, it was thick, and it totally changed the feel of the keyboard. If you touch type I recommend that whatever you get, you look for the thinnest product you can find.

In the end, I returned the cover and bought some air instead. If you don't eat or drink near the computer, you wash your hands regularly, you wipe down the keys gently with a moist towel, and you use the air, then I don't think you'll have much need for a cover.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Bought some air??

I have the moshi and like it. It is not the best typing experience but it is the best one you can get to protect your keyboard. I am one of those people who have the fingertips that produce those shiny keys after a while. It has happened on every single one of my computers so the moshi protector keeps my machine's resale value/ aesthetic value.

4. p1ngputts thread starter macrumors member

I really don't want one, but my lab sheds like you would not believe. If I did the air, I would be doing it constantly. So people prefer Moshi over iskin?

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

Air=canned air. It's great in small doses every few days. But, if you have a lot of dust/dog hair/oily fingers then it won't do much good. I wash my hands a few times a day to keep oil off the keys, but even then, I occasionally detect shiny keys that need to get wiped off.

I have not used the moshi, but after using the silicone alternative, I wouldn't consider anything else. It's very, very thin and has great reviews.

6. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

I have a Moshi cover and love it! Don't try and cheap out on one of these because I hear it will bite you in the a**!

7. p1ngputts thread starter macrumors member

is the moshi just clear? My sisters iSkin looks pretty nice. The white looks decent around the keys.

8. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I use OWC's, it fits my MBP and wireless keyboard

[​IMG]

9. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Bought a cheap 3$ (free shipping) one off of amazon and it rocks. It aligns perfectly and sticks to the keys fine. Better then I excepted really lol. Idk the name brand or I would tell it

10. p1ngputts thread starter macrumors member

took your advice. ordered an IVEA skin for the keyboard and came to $2.89. If it doesn't work, it's not like it will break the bank.

11. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

THATS the one I ordered. I knew it was similar to ikea and since I'm at work I couldn't look.
    My friend had it on her 17 and I loved it. So I ordered one too.
    It works really wellat keeping dust/animal fur/liquids outoif the keyboard :)
    Hope you enjoy

12. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I also have had the $2.89 one from amazon for a couple of months. No complaints, love it. It does muffle the speaker a TINY negligible bit, so I remove it if I'm just using my comp to play music at the moment while doing other things, for maximum quality.

Also, make sure that the cover is completely dry/no moisture at all, before closing your screen, otherwise it will leave an imprint on your screen. I've had a couple of scares, but it was easily cleaned with some eyeglass cleaner/microfiber cloth. But I've read some reviews saying that their screens were "ruined." They may have just been overdramatic. :rolleyes: