Keyboard Cover/Shield for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Penny's Geek, May 10, 2010.

1. Penny's Geek macrumors member

Do any of you use a keyboard shield/cover for your mac laptops? Do they actually stop liquids from getting into the innards of your laptop? I'm considering getting one and wondered what you guys have, where you go it and how much did you pay for it?

I've got a 17" MBP (not unibody)

Thanks,
    PG

2. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I've used a few different brands of keyboard covers (zCover, kbcovers.com, Moshi) and the one I like best is the Moshi Clearguard ($25 at newegg.com at the time, I think they are out-of-stock now. Its available at amazon.com for about $26 shipped). I gave it to my wife awhile back for her unibody macbook and one time she splashed a bit of water on her Macbook and thankfully the skin was there to catch all the water. Nothing got into her Macbook because of it :). Bonus Pro is that her keyboard still looks brand-new after about a year of use (no shiny/oily keys look).

3. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I've tried two keyboard covers. One would be the one that Apple sells at their store, it is just a plain silicon type cover, slightly thick and tacky. The second is the Moshi clearguard.

Of the two, I definitely prefer the Moshi brand. It is thinner, not tacky and does not leave any marks on the screen when the laptop is closed (thinness issue).

Just keep in mind that the Moshi one must be kept relatively straight. You can bend it just don't bend it til it creases. (Although I don't see why you'd bend it that much unless you're going to store it)

4. machiabelly macrumors newbie

I also use the Moshi keyboard protector. After losing my previous Macbook to a soda spill, I've decided a keyboard protector is a must-have for me. What I like about the Moshi Clearguard is that it is not made of silicone, so it is thinner and not "sticky" like the silicone protectors. The Moshi keyboard protector is definitely one of the best if not the best keyboard protectors out in the market. It was actually this keyboard protector that made me a big Moshi fan. I now use their Palmguard and trackpad protector as well as their MBP case. I got mine for $24.95 from the Apple store online. Although I just noticed that I could have gotten free shipping if I ordered from Moshi's site directly.

5. machiabelly macrumors newbie

6. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I got the wrapsol off of amazon for pretty cheap (30 bucks?) and the moshi keyboard and palmrest with tracker pad when I bought my mbp. I love the moshi accessories. I covered the top and bottom with wrapsol but left the palmrest to moshi since it was easier to put on.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I've used a variety of iSkin Pro Touchs. Just make sure you use a cloth to help protect your screen from any staining.