Keyboard covers

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by meatweaver, Jul 25, 2011.

1. meatweaver macrumors newbie

I was just looking at keyboard covers for MBAs, and it looks like most of them were designed for the previous generation (without the backlit keyboard). I would like to protect the keyboard, but I'd also really like to enjoy the new backlit feature. Does anyone know of a good keyboard cover for this, or will I just need to wait until new ones come out?

Thanks!

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

3. meatweaver thread starter macrumors newbie

These are both a little more expensive than other keyboard protectors I've seen, but the Moshi one does look like its of pretty good quality. Thanks!

4. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I thought there was a concern about reduced cooling b/c these block circulation of air. Anyone have experience? Increased fan noise?

5. stevenpa macrumors 6502

The cheap ones may also be a bit thick. A cheaper one left smears all over the MBP screen. They also do not let the backlit keys shine through.

The Moshi one is the best from what I've heard, minimal heat issues.

EDIT: The Moshi is currently sold out on Amazon (2-5 weeks shipping) so you'll have to pay $2 more and tax to get it from Best Buy / Apple.

6. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I have the moshi and have been using it for a year now. Here are my thoughts on it

Pros:
    Incredibly thin
    Doesn't make a difference to the typing feel
    No heat issues
    Protects keyboard from crumbs, spilled drinks and such

Cons:
    Pricey
    Turns yellow
    Fragile, Moshi recommends to never fold the product
    Cannot be washed
    Leaves an imprint on the laptop screen when you close the lid

Overall, it is definitely a great way to protect your keyboard. However, the shortcomings have convinced me to ditch it. It doesn't allow your laptop to fully close even with how thin it is. Also, when you open the lid you'll see the keyboard keys imprinted on your screen. The moshi will catch all the dirt and oil from your fingers and hands and can't really be washed. I used it on my Macbook Pro for about a month or so before finally removing it, now I use it on my bluetooth wireless keyboard