keyboard damaging screen??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petesonline, Jul 23, 2009.

1. petesonline macrumors newbie

I was reading through some posts about protecting a MBP and a poster mentioned he was getting a cover for his keyboard so as not to damage the screen. I heard about this before a long time ago, but how common is it now with the new uMB or uMBP. I just changed sides for the better so be nice please. :apple:13" 2.53:apple:

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

A lot of modern notebook computers have screens that will touch the keys when the unit is closed.

Personally, I am not very concerned about damage, but I hate a dirty screen. Finger oils tend to get transferred and it drives me nuts.

I bought a ShaggyMac; cheap and effective. I have a similar cloth for my Fujitsu T2010, but now that my wife is using it for school, it's gone to hell. I am pretty sure she smeared peanut butter all over the screen (and talk about a lovely, lovely screen). It hurts a little inside. :)

3. Snowbound macrumors regular

Don't worry about it. The worst that can happen is some smudges and if that bothers you just keep a screen cloth in your laptop bag.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If you get a cover, the problem will be amplified. A cover will make the keys 'taller' due to the material sitting on them, then when you close the screen the cover will press on the display, transferring the oils.

My 2008 Macbook Pro (pre-uni) never had any finger oils on the screen until I got a keyboard cover, now the screen gets dirty quicker.

5. petesonline thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, I was worried there was some permanent type of damaged caused by the keys constantly touching the screen. thanks

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

I have been using RadTech Screensavrs for a while now and they work great. Basically it's just a lint-free microfiber cloth that is made to fit perfectly over the keyboard of whatever model Macbook you have and you remove it when you are using the computer. When the screen is closed it acts as a barrier between whatever is on the keys and the screen. Plus its soft and good for wiping the screen off.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

7. WeedKiller87 macrumors member

WeedKiller87

I am just using the thin foam sheet that came packaged with the MBP. I cut the little folds on the back off so now it doesn't move when I close it. The keyboard and trackpad are protected from dust and the screen comes only in contact with the foam when closed.