"Keyboard Data" item in iCloud backup. What is this?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mkaen, Sep 10, 2014.

1. mkaen macrumors regular

Searched the iOS 8 forum and didn't find any threads about this:

There's an item called "Keyboard Data (Chinese & Japanese)" in my iCloud backup on iOS 8. It's shown in the long list of all your apps where you can turn off / delete individual app data for your iCloud backup.

Is this normal? Haven't ever noticed this item before... I have the emoji keyboard enabled, but no Chinese keyboards. Basically I have no idea why it's there, and thought it might be at best unwanted, or at worst, malicious.

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Technically the Emoji keyboard IS Japanese.

3. 5t3f4n macrumors regular

Could this be the Emoji "Recently Used" tab information?
    Maybe this carries over now if you do a reset/restore. Because I don't think it did previously.

4. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

It is probably just a list of saved words/words you use often/etc to help improve keyboard performance.

5. mkaen thread starter macrumors regular

If that were the case, why not have one for my default English keyboard? I don't use Chinese/Japanese keyboards. (Emoji I do use...which is a Japanese word and may be considered a Japanese keyboard.)

----------

Good hypothesis! Haven't fully tested it, but it seems likely. More likely that than a Chinese key logger, surely...

6. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

I turned them off and they dont get deleted.... wtf are those Chinese/Japanese keyboard data ?

IMG_0049.PNG

7. nzalog macrumors 6502

Yeah this kind of worried me... wish we could get a concrete answer on what this actually is.

8. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Emoji history. Emoji = japanese.

9. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Oh, very helpful!

10. Val-70 macrumors newbie

It's an iOS 8.1 related issue

I have the same issue on my device and found out that even freshly reset devices with iOS 8.1 have this glitch. Hopefully Apple will fix it with the next update. Admin at Macrumors, please verify and contact Apple. Thank you

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't think its a glitch. Its been there since Beta of 8.0. Like others have stated in the thread its the recently used with emojis. I've never had emojis turned on on my iPhone and that data is 92KB. I have emojis turned on on my iPad with quite a few in recently used and the data is 500KB.

12. Stefanmz7 macrumors member

Well it's just for the words in quick type (I think)-suggestions. The Japanese may be from Emoji but the Chinese...are you sure you don't have the default Chinese iOS keyboard put in the list of used keyboards. Or some third party keyboard that is Chinese or developed by a Chinese developer or company? Check your keyboard list.

13. Lynhair03 macrumors newbie

Hi , ever since I found that keyboard on my phone makes me think that this is the reason for all the problems I've all of a sudden I've recently encountered on my phone.... I'm sure it involves a 3rd party too....

14. Trumpaign:) macrumors newbie

Hi. I got my iphone about 5 months ago. I have been looking at the diagnostics and usage, which of course, I think many key words and phrases, surely are spyware, hackers ect. Inaddition, my phone was close to its storeage capacity. I tried to delete anything unwanted or unused and i seen the keyboard data chinese.

Did anyone have a confirmation on thier questions concerning the keyboard data? Also, how can i or can i delete the diagnostic logs? Any help is appreciated