Keyboard DEAD!!! HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Ok. My keyboard doesnt work, i have both wired and wireless neither will work on my imac 24" i can log in, using the keybaord, but once i go to type something in say textedit it will not type and then the mouse will stop working it wont let me use the ball button (pushing in the middle) or the side buttons. :mad::mad: Once i type no other buttons will work, alt then an arow key is about the only thing that will work, F1 ect work find, but not any of the numbers letters, tab, shift, fn, control, command, enter, delete. None of them will work?!?! WHAT DID I DO?!?!

I do recall it happened while i was watching a movie in itunes, i had been holding down the alt key for a while? That got something to do with it? :confused::confused:

Please... Help me.

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Try removing and putting back the USB-plug og the wired keyboard. And take the battery out of the wireless, it might be confusing the computer.

3. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Ive tried, using only wired, (so turned off and took out bats in wireless) with both keyboard and mouse. ive unplugged and plugged in the wired. ive mixed an matched with wired mouse, wireless keyboard, ect. none of it will work. Im not gamed to try the keyboard on my MBP incase it stuffs it up to, then i have no computer what so ever.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Will it work if you shut down the computer, plug the wired keyboard and mouse into the computer, then turn it on?

5. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Ive tried that. Turned off the computer, and just had the wired, tried plugging it in after the computer has been on, liek once that screen telling me i dont have a keyboard in comes up.

is there like a lock for the keyboard? like hold a button down for how ever long? cause i think it has something to do with that. :eek:

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

have you tried a separate user account? safe mode?

you can try other attempts to reset the system to see if it gets back on track:
    SMC Reset: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

PRAM: COMMAND OPTION P R (at start up immediately after the start up sound, hold until system restarts release keys)

try those basic resets to see if it clears anything up, try another user account as well.

having both keyboards shouldnt have a conflicting issue, but you can try turning off bluetooth and then reconnecting a few seconds later to see if that clears anything too.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Try the PRAM trick mentioned above (hold down the “command” + “control” + “P” + “R” keys down, all at the same time, when turning on the computer). If it still doesn’t work, try another USB keyboard. If you find that another USB keyboard works, then you may want to call AppleCare (if you’re still under warranty) because they’ll send you a replacement keyboard for free.

8. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

I dont have any other USB keyboards this one is ment to "Just work" :eek: But i gotta say this is the only "big" problem ive had. I tried the command ect. didnt work. Now ive noticed something, when i tunr my computer on, (USB mouse/keyboard not plugged in) and the wirless stuff has it bats out, the computer doesnt bring up the window saying i have no keyboard or mouse connected.... its just the log in screen.

On another account the problem isnt there. so its only on my aacount?

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Are you covered under AppleCare? You might want to give them a call (1-800-275-2273) or stop by your local Apple Store.

10. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

*looks for aussie number*

*goes for a 5 hour drive*

:/ Blam! No bloody land line here, and im so not using my mobile :)D iPhone)... and yes covered my AppleCare... but its not under my name ect.

ATM: Im coping all my stuff onto the public folder, cause i dont have any other way, and moving it into an other account, it seems that the problem has something to do with my account. (I still think there must be like a lock button ie: hold down a button for how ever long, lock) but that would be noted... *sigh*

11. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

WHY ME!??!

Now not only can i not log in, but only a few keys will work at log in. L M J I U and ill buy a new computer thxs larry. :mad:

*throws keyboard out the window...* does AppleCare cover that? :mad:

So now... i can not log in, and am stuck at the log in screen

12. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Ive found the problem to be with the keybaord. I can type fine using screen sharing from my MBP :) so now i shall back everything up to my old computer (cause I dont have any other way :( )

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...and then you'll get another keyboard? Go for something inexpensive, that has a money back guarantee! Hope it will work for you.

14. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

15. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

By any chance do have a cordless phone? If so does the problem happen right after the phone rings or after someone uses it :confused: Just a thought because that happened to me...

16. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

How did you fix it?

Ive worked out it must be the computer its self, ill ring apple as soon as i can cause i need to do my school work... :mad: