Keyboard / expose / dashboard problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hamishniven, May 8, 2008.

1. hamishniven macrumors newbie

I've been using my iMac for 3 months now and 4 days ago, it began doing strange things.

After a short time 10 - 30 minutes the dashboard button - F4 stops bringing the dashboard up, the cmd and tab stops working bringing up the list of open open apps, and expose and spaces stop functioning - the shift arrowsto move between spaces does not work, and the active screen corners have stopped working.

I have to use the dock to find open windows and its a PITA. Restarting solves the problem, for only for 10 - 30 minutes.
    The itunes buttons on the keyboard still work, but the brightness and darkness dont. I can use the cmd, alt, ctrl and shift keys for editing and selecting text when word processing, but they dont seem to work in conjunction with the function keys.

I have not installed anything in the last week or 2 that could do anything.
    ( I also have no idea where the Fn key is - unless that is for laptops )

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mac OS X 10.5.2 software up to date
    2.4 Ghz intel core duo 4 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    320 Gb drive partitioned smaller one for windoze games and 2 external drives FAT 32 as externals.
    non apple mouse as the thing lasted a month.

2. hamishniven thread starter macrumors newbie

now working

Ok so this is getting boring,
    One thing I hate is problems that solve themselves unwittingly, for no aparent reason, then I stop and remember, hmmm so I've appzapped something I installed and expose is working (press F4 and dashboard that works ) 3 hours and many minutes.
    strange and frustrating especially as the app was a demo of some disk management software.
    Anyway thought you may like to know.

ttfn
    Hamish

3. hamishniven thread starter macrumors newbie

working or not

Its started doing it again,
    I've taken the keyboard in for repair and got a replacement, and its still happening, any help would be appreciated, I really dont want to re install and spend days downloading updates etc etc as I pay $6 per gig here in South Africa.

ideas or suggestions appreciated
    thanks

4. hamishniven thread starter macrumors newbie

overwelmed

Thanks for all your help everyone.
    I finally took the 3 month old keyboard back to the shop I bought the machine from and they lent me an old keyboard whilst they are testing the new one.
    Its the keyboard, a brand new keyboard that broke like the brand new mouse that broke after 2 months
    Apple you've got great machines, but sh crap peripherals made cheaply in china.