Keyboard feel, MBA 2nd gen vs current 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by katewes, Apr 29, 2012.

1. katewes macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Air 13" 2nd generation (model 2.1), 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo - the one with a backlit keyboard, (not the later one that removed the backlighting).

I've never been really happy with the keyboard, because it feels like it has a degree of stickiness. Not sure if I'm just imaging it, and wondering whether the current 2011 13" MBA's keyboard is going to give a significantly better experience.

I've tried the 2011 MBA a few times, and subjectively it feels better.

Hence, I'm wanting to hear from people to have OWNED BOTH the 1.86GHz 13" MBA as well as the current 2011 13" MBA, and whether they feel there's been an improvement in keyboard experience, or if they've noticed no difference.

2. Oli3000 macrumors regular

I agree that the 2011 is superior to the 2010. The 2011 keys are 'spongier' to the touch, have a further travel, and don't get as oily. Fact. It makes the 2010 model feel cheap comparably.

I remember seeing some pictures on here of people splitting keys on the 2010 models, too.

As far as the original to the 2011, I can't comment!

3. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I don't know about the old Macbook Air, but the 11" Macbook Air has the best keyboard of any Apple laptop I've felt, save for the pre-unibody Macbook Pros. For some reason, the 2011 11" Macbook Air keyboard is firm and spongey while the other Macbook keyboards are loose and clacky. The best part is that the keys are not loose when you let go of a key which is the biggest factor in making a keyboard sound loud and cheap. The keyboard is better than the 2011 13" Macbook Air keyboard and my own 2010 Macbook Pro keyboard.