Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Does anyone else have constant weird issues with the keyboard on their T1 MacBook Pro? So like... my keyboard works fine but randomly pressing the spacebar will perform the action in the wrong spot. I.e. YouTube's search bar in safari won't accept a space today. If I press spacebar with the text cursor inside the YouTube textbox it won't type a space. It will instead play and pause a video. Before, if I tried to use quicklook in stacks on the dock it would press space behind the folder I was looking at as well. I.e. I'd press space to open and close an image in quicklook, but it also typed two spaces in the window behind. I also have issues with my VPN constantly randomly disconnecting, and even my whole machine crashing and shutting off at least twice a week which is highly frustrating. I have to say this is a highly disappointing Mac I wish I had never bought. I do not trust it one bit and that's pretty sad for a three year old machine that cost what it did. It already had its logic board and some other components replaced by Apple once because it had stopped accepting a charge within a year of having it. It's starting to feel to me like the T1 chip simply is an inherently broken setup that Apple either cannot or didn't bother to fix in software updates. I just need to know if these issues are localized to me or if others have them, because these weird issues I never had on any other Mac have continued through two logic boards, even if they may have changed a bit over time.

Update:
As it's been pointed out in this thread, the YouTube issue is not related to T1 chips or even Safari itself. However I've had enough other random issues that seemed software related with my machine being unstable that I still have a theory that the T1 causes problems.

Last edited:

anhdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
The same problem with the spacebar today, don't know why I can use space in the search bar on the youtube website. Mine is a 2017 Macbook Pro 13 Inch touch bar. Latest firmware as well.

Reactions: bwillwall and Peajr

Peajr

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2021
this is with like everyone atm I have an older mac is happening with everyone almost all browsers its screwed iw as like wtf happened I had to come searching ,they better find a fix here, thought i was going crazy when it was working elsewheres,2011 mac but happening reportedly with all browsers firefox,safari ect not about our cpu

Reactions: anhdo

anhdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
this is with like everyone atm I have an older mac is happening with everyone almost all browsers its screwed iw as like wtf happened I had to come searching ,they better find a fix here, thought i was going crazy when it was working elsewheres,2011 mac but happening reportedly with all browsers firefox,safari ect not about our cpu
Mine driving me crazy this morning, it was very laggy and keep restarting for no reason, now the spacebar is not working anymore in Youtube, with Safari browser. Chrome is fine, I still don't know why Safari is not working.

Reactions: bwillwall

Peajr

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2021
Mine driving me crazy this morning, it was very laggy and keep restarting for no reason, now the spacebar is not working anymore in Youtube, with Safari browser. Chrome is fine, I still don't know why Safari is not working.
I was just reading its happening on other types of pcs and stuff too and specific people say its not on this or that and other or this or that its working on my iPhone and stuff,I use use safari on my mac though,M mac in general has been ok the past few days though,im on older firmware and its a lot older but I don't use it for much besides to record so I dunno, this problem specifically seems to be happening to other people though besides us haha

Reactions: anhdo

anhdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
So this isn't localized to 2016/2017 Macs?
I really don't know. I believe this is a software issue, I think they would issue a new update very soon. I would suggest you use Chrome instead of Safari right now.

Reactions: Peajr

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
It's working now, just to let you guys know.
That's great but I already accidentally discovered that YouTube performs far better in Chrome than Safari and probably won't be using Safari much for now.

anhdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
That's great but I already accidentally discovered that YouTube performs far better in Chrome than Safari and probably won't be using Safari much for now.
The problem with chrome is it use more battery and more ram usage than safari does.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
The problem with chrome is it use more battery and more ram usage than safari does.
For me, who uses YouTube most of the time I'm on my Mac, Safari drains my battery significantly faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.