Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0 669 kb

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 030108, Mar 3, 2008.

1. 030108 macrumors member

Has everyone installed this FIRMWARE update with no problems?

Neither the software nor FIRMWARE Update process with an Apple operating system actually depends on the Internet connection does it?

In other words, the update files are completely downloaded to the machine's hard drive and then the update is applied from there, right?

The description seems to indicate that this FIRMWARE upgrade will be completely downloaded first as some type of installer package so I guess its installation does not depend on the Internet connection.

Am I right?

Do I need this FIRMWARE update? Should I install it just because it is available? The primary issue that its description says it addresses is mb/mb Pro not responding to the first keyboard key pressed if the machine has been idle for an extended period of time.

I actually have not noticed that issue and I probably would not notice anyway, but I guess they mean all machines are affected by it.

The Internet connection that I would be using in this case is one of those wireless connection cards that works through a cell phone provider.

Incidentally, I have installed all of the SOFTWARE updates.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Right. Once it's downloaded, the network connection has nothing to do with the process.

As for whether not to, I would assume that it fixes something that was actually wrong, whether you're seeing the issue or not, so I seriously doubt there's any harm in updating it.

Hypothetically it could cause problems, but the only case I'm aware of when a firmware update did this was an update several years back that basically made the computer pickier about what RAM it would accept. This caused some people who had borderline-specced RAM to have it no longer show up, but even in that case it at least theoretically could have been causing some instability, just not enough to notice.

I wouldn't worry, though--go ahead and do it just in case. If you have problems with something down the line it's one factor out of the way, at least.

3. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying Makosuke.

That is the type of stuff that makes people suspicious of the manufacturer when an update changes the machine so that it is virtually impossible to use any RAM other than the manufacturer's. In fact, in my opinion it does look like Apple tends to, many times in sneaky ways, "compel" users of Apple machine's to use only Apple's components, etcetera; which are usually far higher in price compared to aftermarket and even other computer hardware manufacturers. note: What I mean by "sneaky" is situations when a user applies an update and, after the update, all of a sudden popular applications or hardware components that are not Apple branded or Apple approved malfunction or do not work anymore at all.

Indeed, correct me if I am wrong, but plenty of people who upgraded an older Apple machine, even an intel one, to Leopard ended up with many incompatibility issues. To me, personally, that looks like Apple forcing users to buy new apps, very likely even new machines, if they want to run Leopard.

At least I do not need to worry about borderline RAM I guess. My mb has the maximum 4GB and the only way to have that happen, at least for an average user like me, is to have Apple install it.

I did look for two 2 GB after market memory sticks before I got this machine, but I was unable to find any.