Keyboard for 9.7" 2016 iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Baldrake, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Baldrake macrumors 6502

I've found I want a keyboard for my iPad Pro - the original 9.7" edition. I'm really surprised that Apple no longer sells their Smart Keyboard for this model, but it is available from Amazon.

The fact that Apple has dropped it makes me worried that it's not very good. Does anyone have any comments?

2. jeffffeith macrumors newbie

jeffffeith

3. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I got one back in 2016 with the 9.7 IPP. it worked just fine up until 2018 and then wouldn’t always connect and certain letters wouldn’t register. I brought it back to my local Apple store and they gave me a new keyboard which has worked fine ever since.

4. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

If you get a new Apple Smart Keyboard it will still have the year warrantee. Just make sure you have proof of purchase. Also, remember with Apple or any electronic company that makes A LOT of devices...you have the risk of one out of millions made.

Here is a smart keyboard at a decent price. If you find one at Best Buy or Target, they should price match Adorama or B&H.

https://www.adorama.com/acmm2l2amam.html

or https://www.adorama.com/acmm2l2ama.html?rfkref=productPage

idk why Adorama listed with two different prices plus its also $40 more if you buy from the them on their Amazon page.

. I just priced a used 10.5 IPP smart keyboard for $104. A Used 9.7 IPP Keyboard are around $109-120.

who really knows why a product is removed from Apple. For years they will discountinue a nice product or an app.

5. venom600 macrumors 6502a

I got my smart keyboard used on craigslist for $45 a few months back and it's been fantastic. You can find them all day long well under $100 on eBay and craigslist. I would stay away from most of the third party cases. The Logitech has the best keyboard and it uses the smart connector, but the plastic cracks after a few months of uses. Same with almost all of the other hard shell keyboards.

6. Baldrake thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I got the Apple one. It works really well, and attaches beautifully. So thanks for all the comments.

The extra weight is surprising. The keyboard on its own feels like nothing, but it's enough to make the iPad feel a little heavy in the hand. So it looks like I'll be using it only when I'm planning on using the iPad to touch.

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

It’s great to just click on or off as needed.