Keyboard for editing: New apple keyboard suited?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by diccen, Oct 11, 2007.

1. diccen macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any (semi) professional editors around here who've got some experience with both the new and old apple keyboards since i have to get an external keyboard for the course i'm following.

I like the looks of the new keyboard but im a bit afraid of its long term editing capabilities. But then again, i might be completely wrong as i'm only getting started with this and don't have any experience whatsoever.

Thanks

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

[​IMG]

Are you talking about something like that? A keyboard that has all of the hotkeys mapped to it? That might be helpful if you are just starting out, but actually learning the hotkeys will make you a better/faster editor in the long fun.

If you're talking about just plain keyboards, I don't think it makes any difference.

P-Worm

3. diccen thread starter macrumors newbie

No i wasn't thinking of these rainbowkeyboards. Im just looking for some first-hand experiences of people who've edited a fair amount with both types of keyboard (old thick and new flat).

I've fiddled around with the new keyboard at a local apple store but I don't get the information i need from just playing 10 mins with the keyboard.

Tnx for the reply

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A keyboard is a keyboard if you ask me. It might feel odd for the first couple of days after getting a new one but after that it just feels natural again. At least that is my experience with keyboards (and I've used some truly shocking ones in the past).

Edit : Just make sure you get the wired one and not the wireless one.

5. fart macrumors regular

I recently switched from the old school to the new, thin style keyboard. It works. Sometimes when I'm typing at high speeds, i kinda "loose traction", but as far as editing w/FCP, it works fine.

It looks really cool too. Immediately after purchasing it, at least 4, maybe 5, girls hit on me. My coolness factor increased by at least 10, maybe 11, percent.